Trades And Manners

Frank Menser

Recently I offered an item up for trade. (I am not saying who or where but it was online). The person saw my item and approached me with an offer. I waited patiently for a week till he posted pictures. I agreed to the trade.

He then asked for more pictures of my item. I supplied those. He also insisted upon me seeing more pics of the item he had and that I had just agreed to. I still liked his item so again I agreed to the trade.

He then insisted on greater detailed pics of my item. By this time I was getting tired of this, but I sent the closeups.

He responded two days later saying his expert said (from looking at the photos) that parts of my fossil were not real. He then set his value on my item and said he would make the trade if I supplied more fossils to go with the one I had. Again, I did not seek out this trade.

Needless to say I turned the deal down flat.

Now is it me...or is the time to ask for photos and establish value BEFORE you make an offer? And isn't it a bit questionable when you accept that offer, for them to revalue your item so they can demand more...? :faint:

(Yeah, I'm gripeing)

Be true to the reality you create.

Now is it me...or is the time to ask for photos and establish value BEFORE you make an offer? And isn't it a bit questionable when you accept that offer, for them to revalue your item so they can demand more...? :faint:

Frank, yes I think you are right. He was just trying to beat you down. I think it is ok to indicate an interest in a trade and ask for more info or pictures but once you agree to a trade the deal is done!

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

I try to get all the information possible before I make an offer, it just seems like a more legitimate way to practice and in the best interest of both parties to do.

I feel that on-line trades of high-value fossils are a mine field; too much at stake and too serious.

Trading lower-value commodities should be light-hearted and fun. If the fossil in question was not a big deal item, then the would be trader's behavior was out of proportion.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

When I need to have cash for an item, I indicate it as clearly as possible. This fossil is on the pricey end. But the trade was intended for My hobby and personal collection...and yes, to be fun. This particulary upset me because I was offering this to another person when this person approached me with the offer, souring the trade I hoped to make.

I am sorry this happened to you. There is always someone out there that will ruin things for others just because they can. They probably were just playing games with you and didn't really have anything to trade any way. Probably using stolen pics of someone else's items.

Yeah, I always try to tell people what I paid for it, or what I think it is worth. I then have them find out what their item is worth to them.

Sometimes you go back and forth with a lot of emails and it's time consuming but in then end you get what you want, sometimes you go through all that effort and things go bad. Sometimes you can make a trade fast and well, and sometimes you can make it fast and have a raw deal.

Either way, find out if the person doing the trading made a mistake or is just messing with you. Sometimes it the friends you make from trading that are the biggest reward. I try to figure out a person before I trade with them by their posts. I have have some good trades on this site so far. Character goes a long way.

I'm sorry this happened to you :(

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

It sounds like it is the same person that approached me a couple of months ago wanting to buy a tooth. He sent over 30 e-mail messages to me over three weeks and never did buy anything. Four of five times he told me he was sure what he wanted, we agreed on a price he asked me to hold the tooth until he paid me. Then an hour or two later he would change his mind. I later found out that he was doing the exact same thing to at least three other sellers at the same time. I can put up with someone changing his mind but when he is purposely playing off of a bunch of people knowing he is not getting anything it can be very annoying. I would not be at all surprised if it was the same person.

Thanks for the kind thoughts yall... :)

He Emailed me twice last night - after I said the deal was off still argueing about what his expert said and claiming that I did not send high enough resolution pictures and that it made him suspect that I was trying to con him!

Can you say, "Nut case?" Went ahead and blocked his Emails.