LeeCreek2thHntr

Bay Area Fossil Shows?

LeeCreek2thHntr

Hey y'all,

Was wondering if there were any good fossil shows in the Bay Area y'all would suggest?

Thanks in advance,

Adrian

jpc

Can we assume you mean San Francisco?

ynot

I have not heard of any "fossil" shows, but there are a lot of "gem and mineral" shows that always have some fossil dealers set up.

Go to the ones sponsored by a rock club, not the "traveling wilburys" type shows-- they tend to be mostly beads and junk.

Tony

LeeCreek2thHntr

Can we assume you mean San Francisco?

Anywhere in the Bay Area is fine. I am in the East Bay and looking for some nearby shows to go to.

Adrian

LeeCreek2thHntr

I have not heard of any "fossil" shows, but there are a lot of "gem and mineral" shows that always have some fossil dealers set up.

Go to the ones sponsored by a rock club, not the "traveling wilburys" type shows-- they tend to be mostly beads and junk.

Tony

Hey Tony,

Yeah I had a hard time finding any shows that specialize in fossils. Maybe I will check out some "gem and mineral" shows nearby and hope to see some fossils.

Adrian

siteseer

Tony,

Yeah, not much in the way of fossils though the dealer variety has picked up in recent years (pretty dead during the early 2000's). A few years ago, some cool fossils started showing up at the Santa Clara Valley Gem and Mineral Society show (March or April at the county fairgrounds) and the Peninsula Gem and Geology Society show in October. Sadly, I recognized a couple of the specimens. They came from the collection of Norm and Betty Lemkau (well-known collectors in the Bay Area for many years). Norm had passed away around 2001 and then Betty died about five years ago. Apparently, no one in the family wanted the fossils so the collection was sold through at least one dealer. They collected a wide variety of groups so there were great trilobites, sea urchins, crinoids, ammonites, plants, and numerous vertebrates - many self-collected back in the 60's-90's along with some fine purchases. Some great books were also part of the collection. Unfortunately, the labels (which Norm and Betty always kept with their specimens) were often lost along the way after the sale but some of it could be figured out (Green River fish, Messel gar, etc.).

I met them back in the late 80's and they told me about their collecting trips. We traded too. They were great people who would contributed a lot to this forum had it existed in their time together.

Anyway, I still try to visit the show because you never know when something oddball is going to show up.

Jess

Tony