LeeCreek2thHntr

Any Good Fossil/Paleontology Clubs in CA?

LeeCreek2thHntr

Hey everyone,

Was wondering if there were any good fossil/paleontology societies/clubs in California you would suggest joining.

Thanks,

Adrian

ynot

There is one in the Sacramento area called Fossils For Fun.

Are You planning a move or just a visit?

Tony

LeeCreek2thHntr

There is one in the Sacramento area called Fossils For Fun.

Are You planning a move or just a visit?

Tony

Hey Tony,

Thanks for the info. I will look them up. I am moving from NC to CA for college so I am looking for a good fossil club to join.

Adrian

Edited by LeeCreek2thHntr

ynot

It is a little premature, but, WELCOME to CALIFORNIA!!!

Tony

LeeCreek2thHntr

It is a little premature, but, WELCOME to CALIFORNIA!!!

Tony

Thanks Tony!

Boesse

Back when I was an undergraduate student I started up a fossil club - the San Francisco Bay Paleontological Society - which was pretty active for about 5 years, with roughly ~150 members or so and a core of about 10-15 collectors who would go on field trips. It fizzled out during my master's program when I didn't have as much time to devote to leading field trips, and it didn't help that Microsoft dissolved MSN groups and essentially erased the series of web pages I had carefully written. You *may* be able to find some vestiges of the webpage online.

caldigger

What part of CA. are you moving to?

LeeCreek2thHntr

Back when I was an undergraduate student I started up a fossil club - the San Francisco Bay Paleontological Society - which was pretty active for about 5 years, with roughly ~150 members or so and a core of about 10-15 collectors who would go on field trips. It fizzled out during my master's program when I didn't have as much time to devote to leading field trips, and it didn't help that Microsoft dissolved MSN groups and essentially erased the series of web pages I had carefully written. You *may* be able to find some vestiges of the webpage online.

Hey Bobby,

Unfortunately I couldn't find the vestiges of your old club. I would have loved to have been a member of it since I am in the Bay Area myself. Where did ya do your undergrad? And thanks for identifying my Waipatiid Dolphin molar at the Aurora Fossil Festival a couple weeks back.

Adrian

LeeCreek2thHntr

What part of CA. are you moving to?

Hey caldigger,

I will be in Berkeley, CA.

Adrian

DPS Ammonite

Welcome to Berkeley neighbor. Look me up, I'll show you where to look for fossils. I remember the wonderful San Francisco Bay Paleontological Society website.

John

LeeCreek2thHntr

Welcome to Berkeley neighbor. Look me up, I'll show you where to look for fossils. I remember the wonderful San Francisco Bay Paleontological Society website.

John

PM sent John

siteseer

There's the Southern California Paleontological Society (SCPS). It's based in Los Angeles and it has a monthly newsletter. The newsletter is rather thin but interesting and it announces where the monthly field trips will be. They have their meetings at the George Page Museum (the La Brea tar pits). Check this out:

https://socalpaleosociety.wordpress.com

https://www.facebook.com/socalpaleo

Hey everyone,

Was wondering if there were any good fossil/paleontology societies/clubs in California you would suggest joining.

Thanks,

Adrian

LeeCreek2thHntr

There's the Southern California Paleontological Society (SCPS). It's based in Los Angeles and it has a monthly newsletter. The newsletter is rather thin but interesting and it announces where the monthly field trips will be. They have their meetings at the George Page Museum (the La Brea tar pits). Check this out:

https://socalpaleosociety.wordpress.com

https://www.facebook.com/socalpaleo

I appreciate the info siteseer. I will check it out.

Adrian