Beautifully Colored Chinle Dinosaur Tooth

zekky

Today I got the opportunity to go through a lot of Chinle Formation teeth from Arizona. (Late Triassic) I picked the only I was pretty sure was a dinosaur. It is about 3/4" long. There are serration present but faint. I'm not sure if they are worn or washed in a river or something. But is this tooth agatized or what?

A1_zps02ubklgz.jpg

A2_zpswplfaf3u.jpg

Nice and compressed

A5_zpsnq0dmsc1.jpg

Serration, they are small and worn, but there

A3_zpswihx4qbn.jpg

A4_zpsedjwqh95.jpg

Edited by zekky
  • I found this Informative 1

What do you mean by "chinle" teeth?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

It looks like the same colors you find in the petrified wood in Arizona. Right on!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

It looks like the same colors you find in the petrified wood in Arizona. Right on!

That's because the Petrified Forest of Northern Arizona is a member of the Chinle Formation and this tooth may be from there.

Edited by Troodon

This tooth is from a very old collection, could be from around there.

Edited by zekky

Based on the beautiful colors it's most likely from the Petrified Member of the Chinle Formation. Not a lot of dinosaur have been described from the Chinle Fm of Northern Arizona. Your tooth does not appear to resemble a Coelophysid type morphology but I'm not an expert on these teeth. The paper I've attached describes the Herrerasaurid, Chindesaurus bryansmalli who's bones were found in the Petrified Forest Park but the PF member extends throughout Northern Arizona and into other states. No skull was found so that is one possibility just based on size. I would identify it as a theropod indet. until a better match is made with new discoveries.

Chin.pdf

Edited by Troodon
  • I found this Informative 1

Really beautiful colors. Years ago a woman I worked with gave me a piece of petrified wood from Arizona with the same coloration. Really awesome!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

There was a tooth found with the holotype of Chindesaurus, but I can't find a pic or description. Theropod us what it will be labelled as.

New Mexico Museum NH Bulletin 4 describes in detail, with sketches, of all of the finds in the holotype. However is no mention of a tooth, why a photo my not be available, don't know?

Hmm maybe what I read was wrong about the tooth being apart of the holotype.

Edited by zekky