Sign in to follow this  
Mtskinner

Alabama Coprolites

Mtskinner

Here's a few pictures of my multi stack Coprolites from southeast Alabama. These are definitely something you don't see very often from our area as most are broken. Sometimes even poo can be pleasing to the eyes!

post-13898-0-89443400-1465273878_thumb.jpeg

post-13898-0-02810700-1465273889_thumb.jpeg

post-13898-0-26353200-1465273899_thumb.jpeg

Mtskinner

Here's a few more pics.

post-13898-0-84848700-1465273995_thumb.jpeg

post-13898-0-25635700-1465274005_thumb.jpeg

post-13898-0-58686000-1465274016_thumb.jpeg

DPS Ammonite

Very interesting. What animal are they from? What formation, location and age are they? What are they made of: phosphate, hematite etc.

Mtskinner

They are from the Cretaceous, Blufftown formation in southeast Alabama. I have no idea who they once belonged to or the material they are comprised of. I can only surmise that they are from a decent sized creature as the top three are 2" in diameter.

Edited by Mtskinner

BobWill

Without reading those papers (they possibly bear this out though) I have heard that even present-day sharks have something in their gut that produces the spiral-shaped ones so it is generally presumed those are shark.

Mtskinner

Thank you Doushantuo, I've never seen any papers on coprolites so I've got some reading to do! The 1st two coprolites I posted aren't spiraled though, they are three "patties" stacked on top of each other so they may be something different altogether!

Edited by Mtskinner

Troodon

Wow they are big, awesome finds and addition to your collection. Amazing what you are finding in that locality.

Edited by Troodon

Mike Pocock

Very nice poo,

Thanks for sharing, (was it warm when you picked it up) ha ha

Regards

Mike

sixgill pete

That is some neat doodoo.

Mtskinner

Very nice poo,Thanks for sharing, (was it warm when you picked it up) ha haRegardsMike

Lol, I take them with me when I display my collection at the local artifact shows and the 1st thing people wanna do when they find out what they are is to smell them like they don't believe me!

sdsnl

Without reading those papers (they possibly bear this out though) I have heard that even present-day sharks have something in their gut that produces the spiral-shaped ones so it is generally presumed those are shark.

Indeed, they look like this:

post-19410-0-37750100-1465466300_thumb.jpg post-19410-0-50422500-1465466298_thumb.jpg