Sign in to follow this  
smt126

Quarry lake in racine

smt126

I took the family to this former quarry this weekend. We did a little exploring and found hundreds of crinoids. Unfortunately that is about all we found though. The kids had fun with it for a little. Anyone else been here before or have any luck finding anything else? We are probably going to make another trip this summer to try a little fishing(and some fossil hunting too of course)

smt126

Horn coral I dug out while we were floating around in the boat on Father's day.

post-18538-0-40891400-1466721443_thumb.jpg

smt126

Most of what we found like I said were crinoid stems like this one. The rocks to the right have a decent amount of them in them, but not much else that I could see. Even the little guy is trying to get into it.

post-18538-0-76020500-1466726408_thumb.jpg

post-18538-0-16731900-1466726413_thumb.jpg

post-18538-0-10324600-1466726420_thumb.jpg

smt126

Here's a view from the sandy shore. We tried out the inflatable boat for the first time. It worked ok, but I kept worrying we were going to sink when I'd try to get up close to the limestone cliffs lol.

post-18538-0-20591900-1466727103_thumb.jpg

Plantguy

Looks like you all had a good time. I've not been there but I'm guessing there must be some other types of critters lurking there to be found--looks like a pretty big place. I'm gonna sound old and I guess I am but be extremely safe when you go back--old quarries have lots of dangers!

Good luck. Have fun and be most safe.

Regards, Chris

smt126

Yea we were looking at the cliff faces and some places I wanted to excavate looked like it would make them unstable. The great thing about having the kids with me is that it makes me a lot moire cautious.

fossilized6s

I haven't had the chance to go there yet, but it looks beautiful. I've driven past it countless times.

Thanks for sharing.

fossilina
On 6/7/2016 at 3:28 AM, smt126 said:

I took the family to this former quarry this weekend. We did a little exploring and found hundreds of crinoids. Unfortunately that is about all we found though. The kids had fun with it for a little. Anyone else been here before or have any luck finding anything else? We are probably going to make another trip this summer to try a little fishing(and some fossil hunting too of course)

I was there as well.Found a huge stone,with diam around 1' and few smaller ones,that remind me fossilized feces.Is it possible? :

unnamed.jpg

Kane
3 minutes ago, fossilina said:

I was there as well.Found a huge stone,with diam around 1' and few smaller ones,that remind me fossilized feces.Is it possible? :

unnamed.jpg

Picture is a bit blurry. If you have better images, do create a new topic in Fossil ID. :)