Fossils seen in Brooklyn Bridge Park!

Asaphida

I just began a trip to the east coast several days ago. I've been hoping to eventually visit some nearby fossil sites: trilobite ridge in PA and big brook in NJ, but was pleasantly surprised to stumble upon some exciting fossils during a walk through brooklyn bridge park! Almost all the boulders lining the park's walking path were full of fossils. No idea how old they are or what formation they are from so any help would be appreciated. Definitely an interesting experience!

Here is a link to all of the photos: https://www.flickr.com/gp/143287221@N05/w23180

post-21661-0-89445900-1465663084_thumb.jpgpost-21661-0-23134000-1465663113_thumb.jpg

The first fossil is a Leptaena sp., and the other appears to be a crinoid columnal.

I believe that Leptaena is an genus that ranged from the Ordovician to the Silurian. (someone feel free to correct me.)

Regards.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'd also like to remind people that neither the fossils nor the bridge are for sale, no matter what Big Bob at the park says... :D

The brachiopod is indeed a Leptanea, but the genus lasted from the Upper Ordovician to well into the Mississippian so it is not very useful for determining the age of the rock.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

Based on the color of the rock my guess is Onondaga Limestone (Devonian) which is brought down from upstate or one of the Hudson Valley quarries for rip rap. You will see it used in many places. In the gardens of Snug Harbor on Staten Island's north shore there are chunks used in the landscaping that are full great fossils including trilobites.

FYI, you New Yorkers who shy away from the step-child borrow of Staten Island are missing out if you haven't visited Snug Harbor. A short bus ride from the ferry terminal. And if you have kids or grand kids one of the best children's museums in the city is located there. Yes, this is a shameless plug for my old employer! Botanical gardens and several history museums. A great day trip.