How busy is Calvert Cliffs in June?

Jdeutsch

My son works in D.C. and we are going for a visit in the next week or two. I've been at Calvert cliffs off season (early April) and wondering if it is worth a trip in June or if it is too picked over in the Summer.

I have found some of my nicest stuff in peak season. Don't let crowds stop you. I all depends on how tenacious you are at searching.

Summer months especially weekends do draw the crowds. Like darctooth said don't let that stop your visit. Get there early in the day and you will have a great time. I've been there lots over the summer and always went home with a smile. The tides and wind will play more a part in your finds than other collectors.

Metopocetus

Bayfront Park (a.k.a. Brownies Beach) is now charging $18 per person. It's one of the better places to find stuff but I'd recommend Flag Ponds or Matoaka Cottages because they are far less expensive.

• I found this Informative 1

Wow that's expensive but in my opinion the finds below the cliffs are far superior than the other two localities

Thanks all-

I was thinking of going to the Potomac as well- I've had good luck there but mostly small things

Shark teeth hunting is addictive- classical intermittent reinforcement

hokiehunter

Make sure you watch your tides if you go to the MD Potomac formations. Not uncommon in summer even at low tide to have little to zero beach to hunt due to the higher tides and even when the tides are out it can be a flat out mess and not huntable because of the large amounts of algae/grasses that wash ashore and grow on the rocks in the shallows. I've driven an hour plus to Purse State park in the summer only to find it completely covered up on what was supposed to be a low tide. Try to talk to someone who has been recently before committing there. I'd go Bayfront/Flag?Matoaka before Purse this time of year. Schools aren't quite out yet so mid week should be ok.

Thanks for advice.-

I'll start with Flag

If anyone has current information on water conditions at Purse this week, I'd appreciate a heads up- otherwise I'll probably make the hike to see what things look like there

Anybody have any luck at Flag Ponds lately? I haven't been to this locality in years now... Everything I used to find there was pretty worn... But I will say I think I am better now at spotting fossils.

Potomac still good condition as of last week- not many weeds yet

Lots of biting flies along the Chesapeake

Flag Pond was better than Calvert Cliffs park- did not try any private places

• 4 weeks later...