smt126

Asking Permission?

smt126

I've been reading many posts about people asking for permission on private property to look for fossils. I was wondering how you go about doing this typically and what kind of results you've had? Over the last year as my daughter's fossil hunting passion has taken off, I've spent hundreds of hours on this site, reading journals and geological reports, going over maps, and playing on google earth. Almost every nice outcropping I see is either on private property or we're not allowed to collect. I'm thinking of making a trip out to southwest wisconsin possibly this summer and just asking some of the farmers out there if we can look at some of the outcroppings on their property. I was thinking using my little sweety as a way of trying to butter them up, but curious what people's results have been here in Wisconsin? I know the quarries are pretty much off limits with the laws here in Wisconsin, but thought farmers might be more open to letting us explore? Do you just ask and promise not to sue for any injuries or do you try to offer up money for letting you use their land for a little bit?

Fossildude19

Not sure if you have seen this thread yet.

Site Prospecting 102 - Closing the Deal.

Lots of great advice there.

Regards,

minnbuckeye

I was out in SW Wisconsin a month ago. As you mentioned, the best exposures seemed to be on private property. I knocked on three doors ( actually 2 doors and just went into a barn where they were milking cows on the other farm) and all property owners were happy to allow me to explore their exposures. I think you will have a similar experience in this region. Good luck with the hunt!

Troodon

I've just knocked on the door of the ranch owner house and asked permission to collect on his property. Described what I was planning to do, these were dinosaur sites. Most did not have a problem, some wanted a fee or a percentage of the finds. I've also indicated that I would show them all my finds. Never addressed any other issues especially legal ones.

Edited by Troodon

smt126

Thanks for the information everyone. Hopefully I'll be making a trip out there next month since my Mason trip isn't happening now.

sixgill pete

I've just knocked on the door of the ranch owner house and asked permission to collect on his property. Described what I was planning to do, these were dinosaur sites. Most did not have a problem, some wanted a fee or a percentage of the finds. I've also indicated that I would show them all my finds. Never addressed any other issues especially legal ones.

I agree with Troodon. Knock on the door, introduce yourself and ask permission. Explain what you are expecting to find and tell them you will return to show them your finds. Only speak about legal issues if they bring it up and chances are if they do, it is going to be to explain why they are saying no. Always be polite, and give them some of your finds.