Unknown Marine Mammal Vertebrae (whale? Dugong? Porpoise?)

emtilt

These are a few different types of marine mammal vertebrae (at least I think they are marine mammals) that I found in phosphate pits near Bartow, Florida, but I can't identify precisely what they are. All have some damage and broken areas. The attached pictures show a few different angles of the vertebrae. The top row of each picture shows three vertebrae of the same kind, and the bottom rows depict three different vertebrae. Hope you guys can give me some more specific ID info.

post-1-1191661980_thumb.jpg

post-1-1191661993_thumb.jpg

post-1-1191662001_thumb.jpg

It looks like a mix of whale,porpoise,and elephant maybe some sloth too . Not to sure about dugong. :- But some nice fossils emtilt! 8)

It's my bone!!!

I sure don't, emtilt... For me, verts are the hardest thing to put an ID on... You can tell it came from a whale/dolphin or fish...... Just no idea what kind  :P

• 3 years later...
Guest Smilodon

These are a few different types of marine mammal vertebrae (at least I think they are marine mammals) that I found in phosphate pits near Bartow, Florida, but I can't identify precisely what they are. All have some damage and broken areas. The attached pictures show a few different angles of the vertebrae. The top row of each picture shows three vertebrae of the same kind, and the bottom rows depict three different vertebrae. Hope you guys can give me some more specific ID info.

Specimens C is a small dugong cervical centrum while D is a very weathered Dolphin centrum.

The rest are centra of Metaxytherium the typical large dugong found in the Bone Valley sediments of the

phosphate mining district of central Florida.

Good Collecting!

Twynn Mammoth

Those are most likely all cetacean vertebrae, either from mysticetes or smaller odontocetes. Specimen C does not look like a sirenian vertebra - it is not composed of pachyosteosclerotic bone, and the centrum is circular (sirenian centra are distinctly heart shaped). It instead looks to me like an odontocete thoracic vertebra.

The top row all appear to be thoracic vertebrae, and possibly the one on the lower left, and the one labeled D looks like an odontocete caudal vertebra.

Bobby