Sign in to follow this  
Sasquatch

Where to break rocks open in VA?

Sasquatch

About everything I find is washed up on beaches or in creeks. I want to smash open a rock to find something.

PaleoRon

You'll need to head west. Interstate 81 cuts through a lot of interesting material. See if your local library has a copy of "Fossil Collecting in the Mid-Atlantic States", by Jasper Burns.

Fossildude19

I know there is a Devonian exposure in Gore, VA.

I believe you can find trilobite pieces there.

Regards,

Castle Rock

I went to the Gore area last year and truly found next to nothing at three different outcrops across several miles, including the "classic" location across from Gore Store (a very small outcrop in fact). I could not say that I would seriously think about going back there from the DC area. A lot of drive time and very little (one small trilobite head) reward. My advise…keep looking. Dave

cck

I disagree slightly. A better spot is east and west of where isaacs creek crosses 522. Lots of good stuff if you're willing to look.

Rookie

Castle Rock,  I am brand new to this forum and to hunting fossils. My family and I moved to Gore, VA about 3 years ago (my wife is from Midland TX...small world) and I literally find tons of Brachiopods and crinoids on my property.  If you ever get back this way hit me up and we will go break rocks.  We go back to Midland a couple of times a year and I would love to find some stuff out that way.  My 6 year old sons dream is to find a t-rex!

IntenseKarst

Hello everyone:

I have visited the GORE locality at least on five different occasions over the last 8 years with usually good luck (have usually recover a couple of almost complete Phacops and many many brachiopods).  I am actually visiting the site tomorrow (Sunday) with my class (14 college students) and I am interested to know about other nearby locations that might be worth checking out while we are in the area.  I would very much appreciate your input, specially about the Isaacs creek locality.

Good hunting wishes

WMongold

If you head west on RT (VA) 259 out of Broadway, VA headed towards the WV line you can search each cutout till you get to Lost River, WV. It's a good road trip if you're close. 

FossilNoob6969

I'll be driving through VA this weekend. Any specific location where I can kill some time breaking rocks?