I need to know where to fossil hunt in Darwin Australia

Stumping Iron

Hey I need to know where I can find fossils in Darwin Australia because the tides are being really high so I can't go to the beach to get fossils anyone know how I find spots and does anyone know some sediment areas in my location thanks

I don't know much about this, but my suggestion is hunting on riverbanks, assuming that their tides are lower than that of the sea. You could also scoop up sediments from the riverbed and look for fossils in them.

Also the rivers I search in either have to have no water or water that I can see the bottom of because of crocodiles

Welcome to the Forum. :)

You're probably going to have to do some heavy research to find spots. :unsure:

I did find this site with a quick Google search.

Read anything concerning scientific papers that you can PDF wise - research formation names.

Search and see if there are any fossil/mineral clubs in your area and join up with them. Extra Link.

Ask at local museums about volunteer field work opportunities. :)

Good Luck with your search.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Many people put hours upon hours of researching papers, journals, maps to find their hunting spots and are reluctant to just hand that hard work over to a complete stranger. A simple internet search should produce commonly known places to hunt in your area.

...I'm back.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I grew up in Darwin pre Cyclone Tracy and most of the fossils were beach finds

Gunn Point for the lobsters

North of Mandora where the rock outcrops are for the small ironstone Ammonites - wish I had a real interest in them when I first found the spot

Nightcliff and Cassurina among the sandstone is cretaceous and ichthyosaur material has been found.

The best way willbe to find a geologic map of the area and go from there.

Just watch out on the beach for crocodiles, blue ring octopus, cone shells and the box jellyfish, I think that all that can kill you up that way in the shallows

Mike D'Arcy

Raggedy Man,

You are so right. And that doesn't count the gas to get to a university library and the parking fees and the rising costs of photocopying (12-15 cents per page now - not a big deal unless the paper you want is 100 pages long). I used to do research at the USGS library in Menlo Park where it was free to park, and depending on when you went in the past 20 years, it was either free or 10 cents per copy. Some genius in government decided the USGS doesn't need a science library so over the past couple of years, they have been shipping boxes of book out, auctioning off some them, sending some to other libraries, and dumping some in the recycling bins. Now, I have to drive to UC Berkeley or Stanford, each with a different mix of paleo-related journals and books. The USGS had pubs the others didn't. It's a $50 (or more) trip now depending on how much copying I would like to get done.

Many people put hours upon hours of researching papers, journals, maps to find their hunting spots and are reluctant to just hand that hard work over to a complete stranger. A simple internet search should produce commonly known places to hunt in your area.

Archived