Expedition to the Maastrichtian Chalk of Møns Klint (Denmark, Summer 2016)

The Amateur Paleontologist

Hi everyone!

This summer I will go for a week-long expedition to the chalk coastline of Møns Klint, in Denmark.

I've already gathered some reference material (including Skrivekridtets fossiler, a Danish book on chalk fossils; Fossils of the Chalk; and several other books and articles).

What I hope most to find during this field trip include the following:

-Decapod crustacean remains

-Echinoderms (regular echinoids, asteroids and crinoids especially)

-Ammonites; especially baculitids and Acanthoscaphites tridens

-Belemnites

-Fish remains (osteichtyans and condrichtyans)

And of course...

-Mosasaur remains!

I still need advice on chalk fossil preparation (note: the chalk at M. K. is very, very soft). Also, how do we remove fossiliferous chalk blocks from an outcrop?

Finally, for those who know better the place; where would be the best locations at M. K. to find the fossils listed above?

Thanks for any help,

Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Chris,DGF is freely available online.Might be useful to look ....

http://2dgf.dk/dgf_uk/main.html

Thanks for the help!

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Thanks (even though the pictures are the easiest to understand -- my German is not that good…)

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

I replied on your other post aswell.

I can guarantee you will find Echinoids, belemnites and burrows, the rest is a little tall order to fill though :P

I would highly recommend you to spend at least one day in Fakse Kalkbrud which is a quarry that i open to the public year round.

The odds of finding fish remains (mainly teeth) and ammonites is much greater there, though I have found a few ammonites on Møns klint.

To get to the site of the most recent slide, once we've gone down the long staircase to the beach, do we need to turn left or right?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Archived