Florida Girl & Colorado Boy Fossil Fishing in Wyoming

Lori LuvsFossils

I flew in from Southern Florida, FossilDudeCO drove in from Colorado & we set our sights on the town of Kemmerer Wyoming. He'd been there before, I had not. He made arrangements for us to hunt a private quarry & we cracked some rocks! Here's our story in pictures.

post-11638-0-65745300-1466205455_thumb.jpg Following the quarry owner to his mine

post-11638-0-00740700-1466205496_thumb.jpg On top of the mountain finally able to see the quarry.

post-11638-0-09560500-1466206522_thumb.jpg I've got the first 110 fish unpacked (more than half of the pieces I brought back to Florida)

post-11638-0-92465700-1466206871_thumb.jpg This was a heartbreaker. It was nearly perfect. I unloaded my boxes at the hotel when a man asked if his boys could see the fish. One of the boys (a teen) picked this one up and rubbed it right off the stone. I thought the father might apologize when the kid said "it's not complete anymore". I was mistaken. Hoping I wouldn't cry, I told them I needed to go to my room to shower. UGHHHH !!!!

post-11638-0-13525100-1466207167_thumb.jpg Once I chip away the stone, this will be a beauty (I hope)

post-11638-0-46223600-1466207191_thumb.jpg

Ok, that's it for tonight.

Thanks FossilDudeCO for making the weekend so special. This was one of those hunts I won't ever forget !!!

WOAH! Looks like you were busy busy busy! Excellent finds and trip report! I love seeing forum members get together and having a wonderful time. Tyvm for sharing this.

Best regards,

Paul

...I'm back.

Thanks for the pictures, Lori. Very impressive finds!!! I'm kinda jealous.

Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Beautiful finds Lori : ) Sorry about the one that got "erased" : (

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Looks like you had a very fun trip. Lots of fish too. Sorry about that kid. One of the reasons I put a thin coating on my fish.

RB

Great report, Lori!

Glad you found so much. :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks everyone! I'm so thankful for the fantastic friends I've made in this field. You might notice from the photos, most wives / girlfriends stay home or go shopping. I'm usually the odd duck. I'm A-Ok with it, but it's nice every now & then to have people like you folks back me with your encouragement rather than question my desire to get dirty.

My regret is not making it up to Casper (RJB). Blake could only hunt over the weekend. That cut short my initial trip to hunt Trilobites in Utah. I started the week down there, drove up to WY to meet him, then when he left, I drove back down to House Range Utah to get in another day of bug collecting. There's never enough time !!!

I'm finding the split fish more fragile than expected. I too want to seal them. I was told to blow on them, but not touch them. They are really dusty now from travel. Blowing isn't getting them as clean as I would like. I lightly sprinkled water on 2 of them. BAD BAD BAD idea. I saw the ribs fall right off! Son of a !! I'm thinking of a clear matte spray (unless you have a better suggestion).

Nice pictures Lori, and a great trip report!

Lori was a pleasure to meet and work with and we had a fantastic time (as stated above!)

We had to use everything but the backhoe to pull her away from those rocks at the end of day, I am very glad to hear she had such a fantastic time, and can't wait for a return trip, maybe to replace that damaged one!

There is also an 18-inch layer exposed where we went, I think Lori would be a champ at that! It is much harder work, but can be much more rewarding.

Multiple times the quarry operator turned to me and asked "Are you sure she has never dug split fish before? Because she is REALLY good!"

I really like that third picture! you can see across the valley all of the hills have this same layer in them, but across the way is BLM land, so NOOOOOO (did I say NO?) digging!

As for your sealant Lori, most of the people here use a mix of 1 part elmers white glue and 10 parts water. I prefer a mix of around 5% Paraloid B-72. Some say the Elmer's will yellow over time, Paraloid WILL NOT.

I am glad you had a great trip and I hope you and all of your fossils made it home safe! (There was a debate on if a U-Haul and cross country drive was going to be needed, one more day and there would have been no other way!)

Edited by FossilDudeCO
  • I found this Informative 1

Shame you didn't make it to Casper, but in any case, I would have been too busy this past few weeks. Well, since I saw FossilDude

Nice pictures Lori, and a great trip report!

Lori was a pleasure to meet and work with and we had a fantastic time (as stated above!)

We had to use everything but the backhoe to pull her away from those rocks at the end of day, I am very glad to hear she had such a fantastic time, and can't wait for a return trip, maybe to replace that damaged one!

There is also an 18-inch layer exposed where we went, I think Lori would be a champ at that! It is much harder work, but can be much more rewarding.

Multiple times the quarry operator turned to me and asked "Are you sure she has never dug split fish before? Because she is REALLY good!"

I really like that third picture! you can see across the valley all of the hills have this same layer in them, but across the way is BLM land, so NOOOOOO (did I say NO?) digging!

As for your sealant Lori, most of the people here use a mix of 1 part elmers white glue and 10 parts water. I prefer a mix of around 5% Paraloid B-72. Some say the Elmer's will yellow over time, Paraloid WILL NOT.

I am glad you had a great trip and I hope you and all of your fossils made it home safe! (There was a debate on if a U-Haul and cross country drive was going to be needed, one more day and there would have been no other way!)

Hahahahahaha!! I could hear you guys jibber jabbering. You were all so accepting of a female in the field. It was sooooo much fun to hang out with all of you !!!!! He also extended an invite to night dig. I have his favorite dates in my head. We'll see if I can work it out & of course I hope you'll also make the trip.

Did you happen to catch my long face when Mark said he couldn't keep up with the cutting & I had to stop? I bet you were all relieved someone finally said something so we could leave before midnight. Hahahahaha......hey look, a rock....It's all I want to do! Having said that, you guys were happily chipping away just as long as I was. teehee Such an awesome dig site you arranged for us! (and I did check the rate for a u-haul)

I hit the post office the morning after you left. The clerk complained, told me he could only accept 4 flat rate boxes per day. I used every bit of the bubble wrap you brought, then socks, then dirty clothes....ha....I had 10 large boxes to ship. Not all have arrived, but from those I've received, only 3 lost fish. *whew*

I've got B-72. I'll give it a try! Thanks for EVERYTHING!

Shame you didn't make it to Casper, but in any case, I would have been too busy this past few weeks. Well, since I saw FossilDude

Sooner or later I'll be back. Sooner or later you'll have a spare hour. TBD :-)

Fantastic!!!

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022