I think i got a good deal.....do you agree?

fossilized6s

I went with a few friends to browse around a antique mall today, and i came across some cool pieces. I think i got a pretty good deal on some nice fossils. But i really do not buy fossils enough to know if a price is really good or not. I'd like to hear your opinion.

The first one that caught my eye was a 7" Cambropallas pos/neg from Morocco. Now i know these are notorious for being faked, so i examined it as best as i could. It definitely is real, but has some repair. The negative side has the most repair. But i thought the $75 was worth a talk. So we talked and i got 10% knocked off. $68 sold!!!

Next i spotted some nice Argentine pine cone fossils. I know they don't export them anymore, so the prices have rocketed to outrageous amounts. All of the pine cones were listed from $9-15. I picked out three nice pieces. (BUT i left about a dozen there. So if anyone has interest in get a few I'll go back and grab em'. I just ask you pay for the cost of item plus shipping. PM me.) Sure they're not complete, but they look good.

Did i do good?

post-14584-0-73220400-1466299772_thumb.jpg

more pics.......

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Looks like you got yourself a good deal there. If you're ever lucky enough to find an untouched Cambropallas, you'd have to take out a mortgage on it, so it was worth grabbing that one, where at least a good part of it seems to be original.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Why do I never see things like that in antique stores? The only place I see them is in rock shows where the dealers know the value better...

Any idea how much to ship one of those cones to Canada? You should probably go back and buy them all..

Don't assume that atypical objects in antique stores are under valued. Often many of the items are over priced, and people have a delusional idea they are priceless museum pieces, since they don't know much about them. I collect a lot of odd things besides fossils, and I find that antique dealers normally put absurdly high prices on things that they don't understand. So a $10 trilobite might be $60, a $3 book might be $50, a $3 arrowhead might be $25, etc.

I wouldn't purposely search antique shops looking for deals on fossils, because you are unlikely to find them.

attachicon.gif20160618_200710.jpg

restoration work.

attachicon.gif20160618_200618.jpg

restoration work

Charlie

Really nice specimens. I just don't see fossils like the Cambropallas anywhere I collect in the US. I see a difference in the repair areas in color and those areas seem to show much sharper and more intact detail. Did you see anything else that indicated repair?

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Like every where else, it is buyer beware. At a local antique mall I found a piece of baculite labeled dinosaur bone. I knew the dealer, called him, told him of the mistake. Of course he said he was told it was dinosaur. Interesting though, I changed the name on the tag, but he never changed the price. I've found some great prices on fossils at flea markets.

Great finds.

Don't assume that atypical objects in antique stores are under valued. Often many of the items are over priced, and people have a delusional idea they are priceless museum pieces, since they don't know much about them. I collect a lot of odd things besides fossils, and I find that antique dealers normally put absurdly high prices on things that they don't understand. So a $10 trilobite might be $60, a $3 book might be $50, a $3 arrowhead might be $25, etc.

I wouldn't purposely search antique shops looking for deals on fossils, because you are unlikely to find them.

I know from experience that is usually the case, that's why I had to comment on Charlie's find. Sometimes they have a low price on it because they don't know better, but usually it is too high, as you say.

Archived