Jaw and teeth ID please

JohnBrewer

This jaw bone fragment and the teeth were found in Kem Kem. I bought the lot for £5 from a reputable dealer who bought while at Kem Kem. Sadly he wouldn't part with the long thin bones in the box about 4mm X 100mm. I'm working on it! :D

post-20550-0-85630600-1466366485_thumb.jpegpost-20550-0-82994200-1466366512_thumb.jpeg

post-20550-0-24716300-1466366550_thumb.jpegpost-20550-0-35830600-1466366756_thumb.jpeg

I would lean toward the jaw sections being Croc and believe it's going to be difficult to ID it to a species. The teeth look like pterosaur and are sold as Siroccopteryx but I would ID them has Anhanguerid indet.

• I found this Informative 2

Thank you Trooden, I knew you would chime in on the teeth :) I did wonder if they belonged to something airborne. The bones in the box looked avian. I'm going to try and pry them from the seller but he's reluctant to part company with them. At the moment.

I thought croc on the jaw too.

Thanks again.

Thank you Troodon, the seller did say pterosaurid but I wanted a tooth expert like yourself to look at them.

John

Edited by JohnBrewer

Is one of the teeth hollow? That is interesting, since I know that as reptiles evolved into birds, teeth were lost to save weight. Hollow teeth would be in intermediate weight-sparing adaptation for pterosaur.

Info: Craig Hyatt, retired software/electrical engineer

Experience: Beginner, fossil hunting less than a year

Location: Eagle Pass, TX USA on the border with Mexico, hot dry desert

Formation: Escondido, Marine, Upper Cretaceous

Materials: Sandstone, Mudstone, Shale, Chert, Chalk

Typical: Thalassinoides, Sphenodiscus, Exogyra, Inoceramus

Reference: http://txfossils.com/Txfossils.html

I'm not sure Craig. The other teeth may have been preserved internally or are full of the Moroccan sand. I know nothing about teeth :)

OK. It looked to me like the one right under "8cm" was hollow. Just a shadow, I suppose.

Info: Craig Hyatt, retired software/electrical engineer

Experience: Beginner, fossil hunting less than a year

Location: Eagle Pass, TX USA on the border with Mexico, hot dry desert

Formation: Escondido, Marine, Upper Cretaceous

Materials: Sandstone, Mudstone, Shale, Chert, Chalk

Typical: Thalassinoides, Sphenodiscus, Exogyra, Inoceramus

Reference: http://txfossils.com/Txfossils.html

OK. It looked to me like the one right under "8cm" was hollow. Just a shadow, I suppose.

No you are right, it is hollow but I'm not sure if it's lack of preservation or the others have a ton of Sahara in them. :)

• I found this Informative 1