Trilobite & Ammonite ID

Fletcher

These two were both purchased at souvenir or rock shops, and I don't have much information on them so I'm looking mostly for...whatever information you can give me about these. Not expecting any miracles!

I believe the trilobite is Elrathia, but not 100% sure on that. It might have been bought in Europe - is E. kingii still likely then, or is there a European equivalent? The cephalon is damaged, but I think at least one of the triangular bits on the top left is likely to be from this individual.

tumblr_o92r5aT2GH1r1ins0o1_1280.jpg

Haven't had much luck with the ammonite, but maybe one of you can at least get me in the ballpark based on the size and the sutures that are visible where the living chamber seems to have broken off. This one I believe was purchased in a rock shop in Washington state, but whether it was a local find or not I can't say.

tumblr_o92r5aT2GH1r1ins0o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_o92r5aT2GH1r1ins0o3_1280.jpg

I agree with Elrathia kingi for the trilobite. Probably from the Wheeler Shale.

Not sure on the ammonoid, but likely from Madagascar.

post-2806-0-27994500-1466450008_thumb.jp

post-2806-0-60893400-1466450001_thumb.jp

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Your E. Kingii is a molt, the 'shell' that has been shed as the trilobite grew larger. You can see in your example that it doesn't have its cheeks. If you find E. Kingii on this page http://www.amnh.org/our-research/paleontology/paleontology-faq/trilobite-website/gallery-of-trilobites/cambrian-period-trilobites/cambrian-trilobites-of-the-united-states-alphabetized/ you will see the middle trilobites have their cheeks and the two either side are molts :)

• I found this Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is a late reply, but thank you guys for the help! That's interesting about the molt, I knew that a lot of trilobite fossils were molts rather than the 'full' organism but the only identification tip I'd heard was that occasionally in molts the cephalon is reversed. I imagine a lot of the molts look whole, though.

Hi!

IMO, the trilo is E.kingii.About the ammonoid, I think it belongs to Ammonitida order (flower-shaped suture lines).

Regards,

Could you do me a favor and take a couple more photos of that ammonite and penny?

1. A view of the "back" of the ammonite with the opening resting on the penny.

2. A view of the "front" of the ammonite with the back resting on the penny.

It's for a little research project. Thanks very much. :-)

Example using the only ammonite I have and a quarter.

1. post-20989-0-97998800-1468971510_thumb.jpeg

2. post-20989-0-90934000-1468971531_thumb.jpeg

Edited by CraigHyatt

Info: Craig Hyatt, retired software/electrical engineer

Experience: Beginner, fossil hunting less than a year

Location: Eagle Pass, TX USA on the border with Mexico, hot dry desert

Formation: Escondido, Marine, Upper Cretaceous

Materials: Sandstone, Mudstone, Shale, Chert, Chalk

Typical: Thalassinoides, Sphenodiscus, Exogyra, Inoceramus

Reference: http://txfossils.com/Txfossils.html

The ammonite reminds me of pyritized ones from Russia and the Czech Republic; I will hunt down similar pieces I have to compare :)

Craig, I'll try to remember to get those pictures up after work today!

Reese, I'm not sure I see pyritization in the ammo but I don't have much experience with these things - what looks pyritized to you?

Example using the only ammonite I have and a quarter.

That's the only ammonite you have? You live in Texas, man! Get busy! ;)

That's the only ammonite you have? You live in Texas, man! Get busy! ;)

I give fossils away to any little kid I see. ;-)

We do have tons of them here. Just sitting on the ground waiting to be picked up. ;-)

Edited by CraigHyatt

Info: Craig Hyatt, retired software/electrical engineer

Experience: Beginner, fossil hunting less than a year

Location: Eagle Pass, TX USA on the border with Mexico, hot dry desert

Formation: Escondido, Marine, Upper Cretaceous

Materials: Sandstone, Mudstone, Shale, Chert, Chalk

Typical: Thalassinoides, Sphenodiscus, Exogyra, Inoceramus

Reference: http://txfossils.com/Txfossils.html

Could've sworn these were in focus when I took them... :wacko: I'll try getting some better ones later, if you'd like.

post-21237-0-79332600-1469151174_thumb.jpgpost-21237-0-63315500-1469151187_thumb.jpg

The lighter bits are iridescent if held at the right angle to the light; am I right in thinking this is shell material, or would that be something else?

Hello,

Here is an example of an ammonite of mine that is from Russia:

It is very similar to yours in color/preservation :)post-15797-0-94916500-1469224030_thumb.jpg

Edited by ReeseF

I hate to say this, but without any information as to the place and the stratigraphical layer where your ammonite was found, it's going to be practically impossible to identify it, since there are hundreds of sites around the world at many different stratigraphical levels which produce ammonites with this type of sculpture and preservation. It's also just part of a phragmocone, which makes it even more difficult.

Edited by Ludwigia

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I give fossils away to any little kid I see. ;-)

We do have tons of them here. Just sitting on the ground waiting to be picked up. ;-)

Could you give one to me ? I am a very, very little kid.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg