Type of Ptychodus

PaleoWilliam

Here it is. It is from Texas and is almost an inch. Does anybody have an idea on the formation?

post-17377-0-24596100-1466604807_thumb.jpg

post-17377-0-15853600-1466604838_thumb.jpg

post-17377-0-16626600-1466604874_thumb.jpg

Hi !!!, you have found a P. mortini, nice rare find. Can I ask where it was found????......Tom

post-3940-0-29979600-1466605532_thumb.jpg

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

I got them from an old collection a few days ago. I got seven of them.

For the rest of us hoi polloi, it's a tooth from a Late Cretaceous durophagous 10 m (30 ft) shark. I guess durophagous or "shell-crushing" explains the weird shape of the tooth. ;-)

http://oceansofkansas.com/ptychodus.html

post-20989-0-34660900-1466606236_thumb.jpeg

Info: Craig Hyatt, retired software/electrical engineer

Experience: Beginner, fossil hunting less than a year

Location: Eagle Pass, TX USA on the border with Mexico, hot dry desert

Formation: Escondido, Marine, Upper Cretaceous

Materials: Sandstone, Mudstone, Shale, Chert, Chalk

Typical: Thalassinoides, Sphenodiscus, Exogyra, Inoceramus

Reference: http://txfossils.com/Txfossils.html

The matrix looked familiar but I had to look at some of my specimens first before venturing something a little more than a wild guess. It does look like some Atco Formation matrix (a site in Ellis County collected by Ken Smith, a collector I met at MAPS and who passed away way too soon) which would contain P. mortoni teeth. I'm just saying what the matrix resembles but it helps that the tooth would be what you find in it. I would be better if some collectors who know the Atco well would comment one way or the other.

Here it is. It is from Texas and is almost an inch. Does anybody have an idea on the formation?

I have found 12 P. Mortoni ranging from 7 to 17 mm width in Austin, Texas area's basal Atco conglomerate. None quite that large. Only two other teeth don't have the single point converging at the top of the crown. Only two might be another Ptychodus species like Atcoensis or Martini.

Archived