Megalodon Tooth ?

Hello All...Back to the "Well Of Knowledge" I go...If I may...

From what I've learned and a little "Common Sense" I'm assuming this Tooth is Real...I don't own it...a recent completed Auction...

I know "appraisals" are not in bounds...but...discussing "Reasonable Valuations" seems AOK...and a few quick questions...

post-21450-0-80927200-1466769898_thumb.jpg post-21450-0-93265500-1466769937_thumb.jpg

1. Seller clearly stated "Root Repair"...was it well done...?

2. Tooth + S&H Sold For $54 USD...Was that a Good / Reasonable Price...?

3. The Tooth is 4.25"...on a scale of 1-10 that seems to be about a 6 or better...Am I correct...?

4. How would you judge the general over-all condition & quality of this Tooth...?

5. And..."IS IT REAL ?"... :D

As Always...Thanks Much For Any And All Opinions...I Appreciate the help...!!!

Regards...Trig

Hello

The root it's obvious repared... I have to be honest... i don't like the result.

But i are a little suspect because i'm not a fan of this type of reparation...

The tooth are very shine to my taste... i like natural fossils with natural qualities...As much is possible.

• I found this Informative 1

Fair job on the root resto. It's real otherwise why would they repair it. Price is reasonable for a repaired tooth. The only thing this tooth has going for it is that's it's 4 1/4". Serrations are poor, enamel peel on both sides and the root repair leaves me with a 2 rating. Nice starter meg.

Hello All...Back to the "Well Of Knowledge" I go...If I may...

From what I've learned and a little "Common Sense" I'm assuming this Tooth is Real...I don't own it...a recent completed Auction...

I know "appraisals" are not in bounds...but...discussing "Reasonable Valuations" seems AOK...and a few quick questions...

attachicon.gifMEG5.jpg attachicon.gifMEG6.jpg

1. Seller clearly stated "Root Repair"...was it well done...?

2. Tooth + S&H Sold For $54 USD...Was that a Good / Reasonable Price...?

3. The Tooth is 4.25"...on a scale of 1-10 that seems to be about a 6 or better...Am I correct...?

4. How would you judge the general over-all condition & quality of this Tooth...?

5. And..."IS IT REAL ?"... :D

As Always...Thanks Much For Any And All Opinions...I Appreciate the help...!!!

Regards...Trig

Hi Trig, you can discuss "reasonable valuations" with individual members via PM, but it is not the type of discussion we want to encourage on the public forums. Thanks for your help. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hello

The root it's obvious repared... I have to be honest... i don't like the result.

The tooth are very shine to my taste... i like natural fossils with natural qualities...As much is possible.

I agree with Vieira.

The tooth is real, indeed, but I also think it's much "artificial".

However there are very good preppers here on TFF, whose job with fossil prepping/restauration is absolutely amazing.

Regards,

I like the shape and color of the blade. The enamel peel is unfortunate. The root repair gives it an unusual shape for a meg, but only someone who is familiar with megs would pick it up. I'm saying probably 2-3/10 on the how nice is this meg scale.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Well he did some good repairing work. the tooth looks real I would go for it

Hello

Fair job on the root resto. It's real otherwise why would they repair it. Price is reasonable for a repaired tooth. The only thing this tooth has going for it is that's it's 4 1/4". Serrations are poor, enamel peel on both sides and the root repair leaves me with a 2 rating. Nice starter meg.

I agree with Vieira.

The tooth is real, indeed, but I also think it's much "artificial".

However there are very good preppers here on TFF, whose job with fossil prepping/restauration is absolutely amazing.

Regards,

I like the shape and color of the blade. The enamel peel is unfortunate. The root repair gives it an unusual shape for a meg, but only someone who is familiar with megs would pick it up. I'm saying probably 2-3/10 on the how nice is this meg scale.

Well he did some good repairing work. the tooth looks real I would go for it

Thanks Everyone...Helpful & Educational...I've recently learned that acquiring Megalodon Teeth is a Full Contact Sport...

With All of "Your Help" I'm pretty confident this is "Real"...and common...I finally came to the conclusion that the only way

I'd ever really get an idea of "What's What" is to have one in hand...so...slightly smaller...serration...condition...a good starter...

post-21450-0-09902500-1467599471_thumb.jpg post-21450-0-56061400-1467599495_thumb.jpg

Thanks Again...Trig

Here's one of those shiny megs that was stated to have had root repair. This one has an eroded root that has been filled in and smoothed over resin. It was then coated with a coat of urethane. Acetone was used to remove the film and this is what the tooth looks like without the coating. The cost of this tooth was not much when compared to one that is a high grade tooth, a dead giveaway & something to keep in mind when buying meg text. post-2813-0-50231700-1467609756_thumb.jpg