Ordovician Craigleith; Orthoceras?

GavySwan

I'm still a beginner, and IDing finds is challenging. Anyone able to help me along?

This fossil was found in Craigleith, Ontario. Ordovician shale.

I didn't have a ruler with me for scale, but it was about 1.5" long and 1/3" wide at the widest point.

My first thought was part of a trilobite but after a closer look at the photos it reminds me more of an Orthoceras. Only I have never seen one this small.

Please point me in the right direction!

Thanks!

P.s. I've also attached a photo of our trilobite find. Pseudogygites latimarginatus?

post-21808-0-40546800-1466898383_thumb.png

post-21808-0-25985700-1466898625_thumb.jpeg

Pseudogygites latimarginatus is correct.

Here is an excellent publication with a list of faunal assemblages for Craigleith: LINK

Liberty, B.A. (1969)
Paleozoic geology of the Lake Simcoe area, Ontario.
Geological Survey of Canada Memoir, 355:1-201

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I'm still a beginner, and IDing finds is challenging. Anyone able to help me along?

This fossil was found in Craigleith, Ontario. Ordovician shale.

I didn't have a ruler with me for scale, but it was about 1.5" long and 1/3" wide at the widest point.

My first thought was part of a trilobite but after a closer look at the photos it reminds me more of an Orthoceras. Only I have never seen one this small.

Please point me in the right direction!

Thanks!

P.s. I've also attached a photo of our trilobite find. Pseudogygites latimarginatus?

attachicon.gifimage.png

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I agree with orthoconic nautiloid.However, for what I've read, Orthoceras is not anymore used as generic name.It's only applied as a genus to the type-specie Orthoceras regulare (wich is only found in some European countries).

I'm also with Pseudogygites latimarginatus on the trilo.

Regards,

Thanks Guguita. That makes sense re: Orthoceras; I was using an old publication on the Craigleith fossils to help identify and they were usin it as a generic name. Good to know!