Petrified orange/lemon

Pamdivalerio

Found this among my great great grandmothers treasures...looks like a partially peeled orange...but it's hard as a rock...the other side (inside portion) looks like small stone where a pit would be (but not if an orange or lemon). Is there such a find out there? Examples of other petrified fruit?

post-21810-0-80776800-1466902939_thumb.jpeg

post-21810-0-06831000-1466902955_thumb.jpeg

It is either a manmade carved and painted fruit or an unusually colored concretion/nodule. Does a knife blade scratch it? If it doesn't than it is probably in the quartz family and less likely to be a carved fruit. Does your fingernail scratch it? If so it might be gypsum a common material for making carved fruit.

Edit: Thanks to BobWill for correcting my mistake. Knife blades don't scratch quartz.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I've got one just like it in my fridge. ;-)

Info: Craig Hyatt, retired software/electrical engineer

Experience: Beginner, fossil hunting less than a year

Location: Eagle Pass, TX USA on the border with Mexico, hot dry desert

Formation: Escondido, Marine, Upper Cretaceous

Materials: Sandstone, Mudstone, Shale, Chert, Chalk

Typical: Thalassinoides, Sphenodiscus, Exogyra, Inoceramus

Reference: http://txfossils.com/Txfossils.html

Thank you all for your input…and humor…i tried scratching it…nothing showed…don't believe it's painted…it does look to be quartzed as the stone side has crystalized "juice cylinders"…I took real closeup shots with camera and wasn't able to show here due to limited upload…so will hang onto it, and decide thru further research what to do with it...

I agree with the others. Quartz geode. I'd hold onto it though, since it makes for a good conversation piece with the amazimg resemblance to an orange.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Archived