Question about an Ammonite

TyrannosaurusRex

I was fortunate enough to find a heteromorph ammonite in North Texas last weekend. It is in the soft shale and I will not be removing it but rather prepping around it. My question is, as the shale is extremely soft, and it is cracking/breaking, I need to find a way to harden it before the prepping process can even begin. Is there some type of liquid I could soak it in to harden it?

Thanks!

Either Paleobond products http://www.paleobond.com or mix your own Paraloid 72. I'm working on an ichthyosaur paddle that is on very flaky shale. I've mixed a 20% Paraloid/acetone solution to stabilise the matrix (bone is ok). While its looking a bit ugly and shiny it's giving me a lot of control over the prepping. I'm coating as I get through the matrix all the time. When I'm done I'll probably remove most of the 20% Paraloid and re-coat with a weaker strength to permeate the matrix more and take of the shine a little.

• I found this Informative 2

the paraloid is much better than superglues. Esp since you will be removing more rock. Superglue is much more difficult to remove and even to loosen up.

• I found this Informative 4

the paraloid is much better than superglues. Esp since you will be removing more rock. Superglue is much more difficult to remove and even to loosen up.

Ah, if Paleobond products are superglue types then I retract that from my original post. I understood (I've not used them) that they were similar to Paraloid but specifically for Paleontology. My bad.

Either Paleobond products http://www.paleobond.com or mix your own Paraloid 72. I'm working on an ichthyosaur paddle that is on very flaky shale. I've mixed a 20% Paraloid/acetone solution to stabilise the matrix (bone is ok). While its looking a bit ugly and shiny it's giving me a lot of control over the prepping. I'm coating as I get through the matrix all the time. When I'm done I'll probably remove most of the 20% Paraloid and re-coat with a weaker strength to permeate the matrix more and take of the shine a little.

Thanks for the info! I will have to post some pictures of it at some point. It even has its beak!