Retiring the Ol' Claw

Kane

Today's collecting trip will see the last field service of my old, (t)rusty Mastercraft claw hammer before it resumes its previous duties of driving nails. It was time to step up and get serious about this hobby, and so in a few days my new Estwing 22 oz will arrive - and from what I have read here, it is worth every penny, reliable, durable, and high quality. I don't generally geek out on tools, but in this case I might!

Still, the old claw hammer *did* do me well. Perhaps not always the proper tool for the job, but it split rock and dug out clay and dirt. It was an improvised field tool. In the absence of proper tools in the past, I remember using whatever I thought could pry, chip, and break my way to fossils (even if it was other rocks). Embarrassing to say, but even an old wood chisel!

So today I'm hoping the ol' claw has the best outing of its unintended fossil collecting career. I'd write an ode, but that would be a bit too much :D

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Good luck, - hope it serves you well, yet again, today.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Just got my Estwing and tried it out. I feel like Thor! I don't usually geek out on tools but this is fabulous. Goes through limestone like butter. My first urge was to break stuff, I cannot deny it.

But some of the wood chisels will be on hand for soft shales for sure.

Edited by Kane

I've had my Estwing for 43 years. Its been my companion on 5 continents. Sometimes it's fun just to whack a few rocks. Just be careful of the recoil... I used to use a hockey mouthguard a couple times if we were pounding real solid pieces.

I tie a piece of flagging tape to it so I dont lose thre hammer by leaveing it behind. A few times over the years i've left it behind...went back and only found it because of the tape. Also, if you find a good spot and want to find ithe spot again...take the tape off the hammer and mark it.

All types of chisels have their use. One of the best on some thin shales...a simple bread knife.

• I found this Informative 1

I've had my Estwing for 43 years. Its been my companion on 5 continents. Sometimes it's fun just to whack a few rocks. Just be careful of the recoil... I used to use a hockey mouthguard a couple times if we were pounding real solid pieces.

I can say it does suck to lose teeth to recoil :P

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

I paint all my tools day glow green, including all my Estwings. I have also had to retrace my steps to refind the hammer.

Welcome to the Estwing world. You will not be disappointed.

Claw hammer? Eeegads. I was collecting at Caesar Creek spillway many years ago when a bus load of school kids rolled up. They all immediately hit the back wall and started wailing away with whatever they had. I was startled a few minutes later when the head of a claw hammer zipped past my head and bounced another 10-20 yards out into the flat area where I was hunting.

I have also seen shards of steel come off claw and ball peen hammers and either hurt someone of scare them a bit.

Glad you enjoyed yours with no injury, but they are totally wrong tools for hitting rocks and chisels.

Enjoy your new pick.

I was definitely taking a big risk with the wrong tool. And not to be vain, but it didn't make me appear all that serious about my hobby. But I've taken the Estwing out to the field a few times now, and I wonder how I ever went so long without it. It was a great investment, not only in facilitating more productive collecting, but for the safety of myself (and others nearby).

• 2 weeks later...

I just wandered over here to ask about Estwing. Glad to hear the glowing endorsement. I am looking at Estwing E3-13P (http://www.toolup.com/EstWing-E3-13P-13-oz-Solid-steel-lightweight-rock-pick-with-blue-vinyl-shock-reduction-grip?CAWELAID=120204890000008560&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=31461036851&CATCI=pla-187077026891&catargetid=120204890000446507&cadevice=m&gclid=CJu8xY6M-c0CFQetaQodlFoNKw)

I want something much lighter and smaller than the gigantic Estwing E6-22 masonry hammer I got from Lowes a few years back.

Realistically, I am mostly working softer rock. Plus I do a lot of hiking, and each oz of gear is one oz less water I can carry. ;-)

Info: Craig Hyatt, retired software/electrical engineer

Experience: Beginner, fossil hunting less than a year

Location: Eagle Pass, TX USA on the border with Mexico, hot dry desert

Formation: Escondido, Marine, Upper Cretaceous

Materials: Sandstone, Mudstone, Shale, Chert, Chalk

Typical: Thalassinoides, Sphenodiscus, Exogyra, Inoceramus

Reference: http://txfossils.com/Txfossils.html

They do have a lighter 14 oz one. If you are working with softer rock, no need for the big guns. For me, I have to deal with poor or zero laminated limestone and shale so a heavy pick is necessary to bash through recalcitrant stone! How soft are the rocks you work with?

I learned a lesson recently to get some gloves. Bashing a stone sent a sharp sliver deep through my thumb, which bled profusely. Luckily I had a piece of material on hand to wrap and compress. Not terrible. In the past I've been forced to do my own stitches in the woods or cauterize wounds with a lighter and heated metal.

They do have a lighter 14 oz one. If you are working with softer rock, no need for the big guns. For me, I have to deal with poor or zero laminated limestone and shale so a heavy pick is necessary to bash through recalcitrant stone! How soft are the rocks you work with?

I learned a lesson recently to get some gloves. Bashing a stone sent a sharp sliver deep through my thumb, which bled profusely. Luckily I had a piece of material on hand to wrap and compress. Not terrible. In the past I've been forced to do my own stitches in the woods or cauterize wounds with a lighter and heated metal.

Mostly sandstone, limestone, shale, mudstone, so all pretty soft. I did have some gloves but wore them out, so haven't worn any lately. Need to get another pair.

I do think the lighter hammer will do the trick, and good point about weight to have enough water on hand - especially for a long hike in the heat! The good thing is as the water levels go down, you get to replace the weight with some incredible fossil finds :)

When I started, I carried a camelback and a lot of gear. I soon learned that I was just lugging around a lot of tools that I rarely, if ever, used. The backpack is great for long climbs, but awkward to take off and rummage through. Now I switched to an Sony Handicam (remember those) shoulder bag, a few bottles of water, my iPhone, and a hammer. Maybe a snack if I'm going out for more than 4 hrs. So far the minimalist approach is working, but I may tweak it.

Good point. I had been guilty for a while of overpacking with additional tools in the event I might need them, but they were rarely taken out. I hear you on backpacks, although I still use them - taking them off and putting them back on a lot gets tedious, not to mention if you want to keep your eye on a particular specimen without losing it! Too many times I've "lost my spot" because of having to fish around for tools. Shoulder bags are great, or what some call "murses" (man purse). I've used sturdy shoulder bags for decades for work and travel. The best one ever made in my opinion are the ones made by these people: http://www.saddlebackleather.com/ with their tagline, "they'll fight over it when you're dead." I've had mine for over 7 years, lugging lots of books (which has killed previous, inferior shoulder bags) and it still has that stiff new leather feel.

But you got me thinking on ditching the backpack. One thing I learned eons ago when I was an exterior house painter was in how to minimize ladder moves to get the job done quickly and under budget. Perhaps the same principle applies here when we tot up all the time we spend in a day removing a backpack and fishing around for tools rather than collecting. If you need every precious minute of collecting time, backpack fiddling time really can cut into that!