Morrison Formation Theropod Tooth

zekky

Here is one tooth I am having issues with identifying. It's about 7/8" long. The serration just don't look like Allosaurus and are on average smaller(not nearly as small as Marshosaurus). The tooth is fairly thick for it's size. One side of the tooth is curved inward, which I have not seen before. Sadly the exterior serrations are mostly gone, but they look like they would have extended all the way.

I read the research papers on both Allosaurus and Ceratosaurus, and I'm not sure. (I can't find anything on Stokesaurus btw)

1662812554233_zpsot2dpgzp.jpg

Slight curve to one side of the tooth.

1662813720576_zps4ojoq8xf.jpg

1661983019397_zpslnqsbdzu.jpg

Close up of the enamel. The folds kin the tooth enamel are more prominent than I've seen.

1662813936339_zpsrn2zfz8u.jpg

Quick a thick tooth

allo_zpsshgbxaa3.jpg

Can you do a serration count midline on the distal side (5mm). Can you take a picture of the mesial carinae. Thanks

Not sure you will find much on Stokesaurus but it may be a synonym for Tanycolagreus. I think your tooth is too big for these critters and better fits a large bodied theropod.

post-10935-0-52398900-1467144987_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The serrations are worn so the best i can do is a count in 3mm. But there were 9 serrations in that 3MM span.

Sadly most of the serrations are worn off on the other side.

mf3_zpsetbucoqm.jpg

(I just can't find anything on Tanycolagreus, Coelurus, and Stokesaurus teeth)

Edited by zekky

But this tooth is likely from either Allosaurus or Ceratosaurus. The curve is the strange part of this tooth. (the quarry this come from has both species)

In the end it's a partial tooth and coming up with a ID will be impossible in my opinion its best called Theropod indet.

Having said that I make the following observations:

It's not a Megalosaurid since the serrations are not correct for either Torvosaurus or Marchosaurus

I don't think it's a Coelurosaur like Tanycolagreus or Stokesosaurus just because of the size of your tooth. The Skull of Tanycolagreus was reconstruction I saw it at the Natural History Museum in Utah, based on some cranial elements and 3 teeth and its not big. Your tooth with a tip and base added could be around 1 1/2" fits a large bodied theropod.

The serrations, distal count and shape are consistent with Ceratosaur's found in the Morrison, Portugal and Uruguay. The shape and size of the tooth also work. That's my leading candidate but there are lots of critters in the Morrison.

Edited by Troodon
  • I found this Informative 1

Looks a lot like an Albertasaurus tooth I have...any reason to rule out some smaller species of tyrannosaurid?

Assuming you're in Utah: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lythronax

Jaw, top view showing the same curvy teeth:

post-15490-0-91341100-1467317275_thumb.png

Edited by MarcusFossils

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

“It is by no means an irrational fancy that, in a future existence, we shall look upon what we think our present existence, as a dream.”

Edgar Allan Poe

No, it's 100% Morrison Formation. I had a chance today to see some other teeth with that inner curve, I strongly believe this tooth to be a Ceratosaurus. The thickness is my only concern with that label at this point.