Fossilized Skull, Pawnee National Grasslands CO

Sgreeley

So, this find is why I created my account on the Fossil Forum. I was out looking for agates and jasper on the Pawnee National Grasslands when I discovered two mandibles and a complete skull. I will post pictures of the jaw bones at a later date, I think that the skull alone is worthy of a discussion. Because of the hefty fines and potential jail time for removing vertebrate fossils from the Pawnee National Grasslands, I left it where it was, which was very difficult for me to do.

Now, on to the fossil itself, I first thought it was a prairie dog skull. I soon realized that it was indeed a fossil, completely mineralized and partially incased in rock. Just with the way the front teeth look I do think it is some kind of rodent or relative thereof, but I am very interested to see what you all think of it. To the extent of my knowledge finding full skulls like this with little damage is uncommon, to say the least. It is right around 2 inches long, and maybe an inch wide. The size of the eye sockets led me to think it may have belonged to a nocturnal critter, but that is pure guess work on my part.

Ps. I don't know how well I did posting these pictures, I had to resize them quite a bit to be able to upload them. Let me know if they look decent and are proportioned properly

post-21841-0-98688900-1467222479_thumb.jpg

post-21841-0-69776100-1467222742_thumb.jpg

post-21841-0-53027300-1467222974_thumb.jpg

post-21841-0-48241700-1467223024_thumb.jpg

Would this be Oligocene, Brule and Arikaree formations?

From pumpkinhead's comment, views of Leptictis:

post-20989-0-89415900-1467224841_thumb.jpeg

post-20989-0-51199600-1467225266_thumb.jpeg

post-20989-0-08718300-1467225279_thumb.jpeg

post-20989-0-72242000-1467225292_thumb.jpeg

post-20989-0-10761700-1467225305_thumb.jpeg

Edited by CraigHyatt
  • I found this Informative 1

Info: Craig Hyatt, retired software/electrical engineer

Experience: Beginner, fossil hunting less than a year

Location: Eagle Pass, TX USA on the border with Mexico, hot dry desert

Formation: Escondido, Marine, Upper Cretaceous

Materials: Sandstone, Mudstone, Shale, Chert, Chalk

Typical: Thalassinoides, Sphenodiscus, Exogyra, Inoceramus

Reference: http://txfossils.com/Txfossils.html

This link might help:

https://www.dmr.nd.gov/ndfossil/Research/Short%20Papers/white_river.asp

My best guess is that this is from the Brule formation, because what I've read says that the Arikaree formation is less fossiliferous and the Brule formation is the only one I could find rodent species in during my search. My best guess based off of this resource is Leptictis, but don't take my word for it. I'm not really a vertebrate guy.

Nice find, and welcome to the forum :)

• I found this Informative 2

Awesome skull. :wub:

I admire your ethics and standards,... in leaving it where it was found.

Not an easy thing to do.

Well done, however.

Also - the photos are good, I would just try to crop them more, to have less background in the image.

Like this:

post-2806-0-14072600-1467226357_thumb.jp

post-2806-0-55440600-1467226579_thumb.jp

post-2806-0-44054200-1467226592_thumb.jp

post-2806-0-83407500-1467226601_thumb.jp

Cropping can reduce the image size quite a bit.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I wonder if there is a staff paleontologist to whom one could report the find? Ideally someone you could phone and text a photo, so they could say "stay there and I'll be right out" or "bring it to the office" or "leave it where it is". Certainly "leave it where it is" will mean it will be gone in a rainstorm or two, or by next year at the most. Erosion is relentless. Perhaps that is the plan, but it would seem that such a find would better be conserved. Anyway I admire your willpower to put it down and walk away.

Don

Thanks for all the great replies everyone, they have been very helpful.

Would this be Oligocene, Brule and Arikaree formations?

I do believe that it is Oligocene, just due to the location. However, interestingly, I found the skull away from the terraces that are generally associated with fossils from the Pawnee Buttes, so there is a chance that it is of a different time period. And those pictures of the Leptictis are very similar, its my best lead so far- thank you for the link Pumpkinhead.

I wonder if there is a staff paleontologist to whom one could report the find? Ideally someone you could phone and text a photo, so they could say "stay there and I'll be right out" or "bring it to the office" or "leave it where it is". Certainly "leave it where it is" will mean it will be gone in a rainstorm or two, or by next year at the most. Erosion is relentless. Perhaps that is the plan, but it would seem that such a find would better be conserved.

I will look into that because I am sure the fossil will be destroyed soon enough, either by rainstorms or the cattle. I find it funny that the laws are in place to protect things of scientific importance, but that it actually means more specimens get lost to time.

Thanks again to everyone-

Steven

Personally, I didn't think the Leptictis skulls matched all that well. Matches a modern vole a little better... maybe. I am pretty clueless.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arvicolinae

Edited by CraigHyatt

Not Lepticitis... this is Paleolagus, the White River rabbit. Notice the lattice work of bone in front of the eyes. That alone says rabbit. As for a staff paleontologist, Barb Beasely is the one in charge of USFS lands in NE, CO, WY and maybe the Dakotas and MT. I am not sure what her take is on finds like this. I think she is housed in the Chadron office of the Nebraska Nat'l Grassland.

Nice find. Good job, though, leaving it as is, as difficult as it may be. By the way, Paleolagus is the most common animal in the White River Fm. Some will tell you Merycoidodon is, but they do not look at the small stuff. That is from my personal experience.

• I found this Informative 5

Kind of small for a rabbit, isn't it?

Welcome to the forum! I also congratulate you on your ethics. I'm not sure if this is in her region, but you may want to contact Barb Beasley at the Forest Service. She would be able to tell you who you could report it to (if not her). You may want to take down GPS coordinates (even it it is just those from the compass feature of your cell phone) when you find something like this. The Forest Service conducts digs using volunteers through the Passport In Time program. If a really good site is discovered on Forest Service lands, I'm sure they would be interested.

Barbs contact information:

Barbara A. Beasley, MS
Paleontologist

Forest Service

Nebraska National Forests and Grasslands

p: 308-432-0351
c: 308-430-2793
f: 308-432-0309
babeasley@fs.fed.us

Looks like JPC beat me to the punch!

Edited by GeschWhat

That is one of the early rabbits in the fossil record.

Rabbits have babies too. :P

post-2806-0-85727200-1467244611_thumb.jp

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Rabbits have babies too. :P

attachicon.gifbaby-rabbit-in-hand.jpg

Poor little feller. Got fossilized before he ate his first carrot. :-(

maybe for a modern jackrabbit, but this is the size of Paleolagus (although there is a rare bigger species).

• I found this Informative 2

I think Paleolagus is spot on.

I have to say I am very impressed with all the information I got and with how quickly the forum identified this fossil.

Thank you all again,

Steven

i agree with rabbit 100%. it looks almost identical to a modern White tail rabbit skull.

very nice find!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

That is one of the early rabbits in the fossil record.

earliest in North America... there are Eocene bunnies in Asia.