Minkis300

Looking for easily accessible and productive site for 5yr old

Minkis300

I would like to bring my 5 yr old daughter collecting somewhere in eastern pa next week. She has a great interest in fossils and collecting them which I would love to foster even more. Any suggestions and directions?

Fossildude19

Welcome to the Forum. :)

I take it you will be somewhere in eastern PA at the time?

I have heard of Devonian sea fossils found at Beltzville State Park - collecting is allowed there.

Carbondale PA has Pennsylvanian aged plant fossils.

On your way back home, maybe a stop at Big Brook in Holmdel, New Jersey would be doable.

Good luck, have fun, and be safe.

Regards,

Minkis300

Thanks Tim!

I've been to big brook many many times (off Boundary Rd) and that spot is a little treacherous for a 5 yr old. I would love to get her started with plant fossils and Carbondale seems great. Do you have any specific directions to the collecting site?

I really wanted to take a ride out to St. Clair but I've been reading on here that it is basically closed to collecting.

-Marc

Fossildude19

Thanks Tim!

I've been to big brook many many times (off Boundary Rd) and that spot is a little treacherous for a 5 yr old. I would love to get her started with plant fossils and Carbondale seems great. Do you have any specific directions to the collecting site?

I really wanted to take a ride out to St. Clair but I've been reading on here that it is basically closed to collecting.

-Marc

Hey Marc,

Have you tried going in to Big Brook from the Hillsdale road parking? Much easier to access the river, and usually quite shallow there.

post-2806-0-96436900-1467308554_thumb.jp post-2806-0-73044900-1467308561_thumb.jp post-2806-0-29933000-1467308549_thumb.jp

As far as the Carbondale site: have never been myself, but found these directions online :

"Directions: Carbondale is located Northeast of Scranton, PA. From Philadelphia take I-476 all the way to the end. Then take 81 South one exit to 57 follow US Highway 6 to Carbondale. On the way is Archbald Pothole State Park. Three miles past State Highway 107 is the Carbondale elementary school road. There are a few shops before the school where you can park and climb to the shale piles, or drive down into the apartments back on the dirt roads to the spoil piles."

Hope that helps.

Good luck, and make sure to report back what you find. :)

Regards,

EDIT: Yes, unfortunately, St. Clair is closed to collecting, ... except for School Groups, with written permission from Reading Anthracite.

Minkis300

Thanks!! I will use Carbondale Elementary to plug into the gps.

sTamprockcoin

Warning: at this time of year Carbondale (which is mostly reclaimed anyway) will have a lot of brambles and this year up here in Susquehanna and adjacent counties we have A LOT of ticks!

Try the Deer Lake Locality. Beltzville S.P. would be better for a 5 year old. I know of several good places for kids but there all over in West Central PA. Try contacting one of the local Rock & mineral clubs where someone might be able to help you out. I grew up in Montgomery County and never remember fossils being plentiful. Good Luck!

Fossildude19

Warning: at this time of year Carbondale (which is mostly reclaimed anyway) will have a lot of brambles and this year up here in Susquehanna and adjacent counties we have A LOT of ticks!

Try the Deer Lake Locality. Beltzville S.P. would be better for a 5 year old. I know of several good places for kids but there all over in West Central PA. Try contacting one of the local Rock & mineral clubs where someone might be able to help you out. I grew up in Montgomery County and never remember fossils being plentiful. Good Luck!

Thanks for this input, Tim.

Nothing beats local knowledge of a place. ;)

Regards

Minkis300

Anything near Hershey Park?

Plax

Swatara Gap isn't very far from there. Also the reclaimed strip mines along Gold Mine Rd can be productive for plant fossils. Gold Mine Road is just a little further up the road from swatara gap.

Fossildude19

Deer Lake is about an hour to the north-west of Hershey.

Regards,

Adam86cucv

Late to the discussion but I can say that swatara state park is good for a 5 year old. Last July we went there with our at the time 5 yr old son and my wife who was 8 months pregnant and we made the mile long hike in and out without any issues.  It's a gravel road from the parking lot and it's fairly level. You can find some fossils on the hillside of the 'fossil pit' and also if you go to the bank of stream that is at the fossil pit you can also find them fairly easily.  We had a family wave us over when they were leaving to show us what they found and where they were finding them.