Techniques with fragile fish

KansasFossilFinder

I just recently got back from a short trip to the Niobrara chalk formation and I need help preparing some partial fish fossils. Many of the bones are covered in chalk and they are extremely fragile. How should I clear matrix stuck to the bone without ripping off the bone itself? The one piece I am especially concerned about is a jaw bone that has chalk in between the individual teeth. I would really appreciate it if you told me how you would tackle this situation. Thanks in advance.

Wet the chalk between the teeth with a soft paintbrush. Let it set for a bit to soften, then "paint" away the chalk starting at the jawbone sweeping toward the tip of the teeth. Be gentle and patient. Do NOT brush across the teeth. They'll start popping off.

Good luck!

(And pictures, please!)

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks, I will try that. I'll be sure to post photos of everything I found later on, it may be a while though.

You can use dental picks to remove the moistened chalk from the bones. Once they are cleaned and completely dry, stabilize with PVA or Butvar as described in multiple previous posts in this category. Good luck.