Fossil Pine Cones

RJB

I cant remember where I saw a thread about fossil pine cones, but I wanted to show these and couldn't find them in my picture files. Found the pics today. I bought several of these many years ago and am soooooooo happy that I didn't sell them! Just super cool!

RB

post-171-0-47385500-1467328045_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-90473600-1467328055_thumb.jpg

Looks like two different species. The lighter one is picture perfect. Yup they're keepers.

Yes that was my thread in questions and answers!

Jealous!

Those are gorgeous!!

Beautiful.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Thanks everybody.

fossilized6s: That's the reason I bought them. I was going to slice and polish. When it came down to actually doing it,,, I couldn't.

FossilDudeCO: Now I remember. If I hadn't seen your post I would not have thought of posting these here. Thanks

RB

They are beautiful. Can you post more photos of them from different angles?

Thanks !!

Oh heck....they are very very cool! I know cutting them would probably show some crazy fantastic internal structure but I'd leave em alone...

Thanks for showing us!

Regards, Chris

Gorgeous!!!

Pine cones are interestingly intricate structures. Those two are beautiful! :D

Thanks again everyone.

OtherCollector: I cant show more photos. I would have to find them first and that would be a job and a half! someday I will run into them again.

RB

I cant remember where I saw a thread about fossil pine cones, but I wanted to show these and couldn't find them in my picture files. Found the pics today. I bought several of these many years ago and am soooooooo happy that I didn't sell them! Just super cool!

RB

How old are they?

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Thanks RJB!

So glad you didn't cut them!

I am having a near impossible time finding them uncut!

Thanks RJB ! I hope to see them some day. They are really beautiful.

I bought these about 15/16 years ago. Back then everyone was slicing them open and polishing. Now after reading all your post, it seems that fossil pine cone attitudes have changed. So glad I kept them intact.

RB

I bought these about 15/16 years ago. Back then everyone was slicing them open and polishing. Now after reading all your post, it seems that fossil pine cone attitudes have changed. So glad I kept them intact.RB

I love to cut and polish rocks and certain fossils. I would never mess with those they are fabulous just how they are.

Hi ron

yes, you are correct, to a point !!

Back about the turn of this century I did some work for Luis and Ana.

Instead of payment In cash, they paid me with a large, fat, Araucaria cone. After a couple years of enjoying

the full cone, ( and yes, they are beautiful as compleats ), l couldn't stand it any longer and cut it in half. I couldn't resist the thought

of that beautiful and intricate internal starburst pattern

I'm soo,ooo happy I did

Edited by PRK

I don't think the attitude has changed, most of the cones are still cut and polished and rightfully so. I haven't seen many cones where the exterior was nicer than the interior but if the exterior is complete I also would not cut it.

I really like those.... Great acquisitions....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Hey Mexx, I like your explination. I just found the rest of my cones and one is really not too good on the exterior. I just may take that one to a fiend of mine who has all the saws and stuff for polishing. Could be very interesting for sure.

RB