Yet another fieldtrip to the late Devonian (Belgium)

Manticocerasman

Yet another fieldtrip to the late Devonian (Belgium)

Last Saturday I organized with my pall Anthonie, a field trip for our Paleontology club.

The location was the quarry in Lompret, here they exploit the hard limestone from the ancient Devonian reef ( Frasnian deposits )

On the top and sides of this reef we find softer deposits from the lagoons around it.

The trip to the quarry rainy, as usual from the past few weeks, but et the location the clouds were clearing up.

We waited for the whole group at the meeting point, and once complete we headed into the quarry.

Here we made our first stop, explaining the geology and paleontology of this area and repeating the security measures.

After this the group split in 2, the hardcore collectors went down in the hope to find an elusive trilobite an I took the rest of the group to the top where most fossils were commonly found.

Once I found a decent spot I made a small review of the fossils that could be found and the people started looking around.

Quickly the first corals and crinoid stems were found and sometimes a brachiopod or a gastropod.

After helping anyone finding their way in the quarry I started to look for some nice specimens myself, and secretly hoping to find some cephalopods.

The whole morning was quite uneventful, only later I finally found a couple of decent goniatites, and a small round intriguing fossil.

One of the members also found a very nice orthoceras in the morning.

At 12h we gathered for lunch and a quick review of the discoveries. Then we were surprised by heavy rainfall, it only last for 10 minutes, but more were clearly to come.

In the following hour, we had several downpours an several participants started to give up and head back home.

I stayed with a dozen participants and after a while we finally had dry weather again.

Now we were looking for a layer that I discovered last year with small cephalopods.

With a friend we managed to clear 1 m² of that layer, and it turned out great , together we found around 26 goniatites and a bunch of orthoceras and bactrites.

Not all were well preserved, but some of them were really good specimens.

Finally at 17h we called it a day ,and with the last participants we visited a local tavern for a drink and supper.

13600352_10207750059761860_8541233317772

IMG_0544.JPG

IMG_0554.JPG

IMG_0556.JPG

Double goniatite :)

IMG_0557.JPG

IMG_0560.JPG

13528922_10207750067362050_2013363952609

IMG_0543.JPG

As for the little round fossil, after some prepping, it turned out to be a crinoid calyx :D

IMG_0550.JPG

Cheers,

Kevin

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Awesome !

I love your goniatits :) (and your pizza :D)

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

Nice group of fossils Kevin. I love the calyx particularly.

Thx everyone.

as for the calyx, at first I didnt knew what it was, I took it at home to check it out later. It turned out to be one of my best finds at this location.

Great report and finds, Kevin!

Thanks for posting it.
Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Wow! Upper Devonian in Belgium, I'm drooling. :drool: That Coral is really nice, does it clean up well?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Wow! Upper Devonian in Belgium, I'm drooling. :drool: That Coral is really nice, does it clean up well?

The coral should be easy to clean out. It is much harder than the matrix arround it.

you can clearly cut those corals with a knife,there's one beside every coral in view.

It's clearly Heliophyllum quatrestaggionensis,but some idiot put cheese on the fossil

Archived