Fake trilobite?

I think I see air bubbles on the thorax, but I'm not sure. Does the crack run all the way through the trilobite?

The fake is strong with this one...

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Looks real with some filler on it, common trilo not really worth faking, crack running through matrix and trilo will be where the rock was split when the cross section of trilo was found.

It is a harpid of some sort. I'm also in the real, but rough prep on the body, camp. The head looks reasonably prepped, though, with the pits in the cephalic rim showing.

---Prem

What a relief. I was told by the dealer that it was Moroccan so i was hesitant to buy bit it looked so cool that I made the gamble. I agree with prem with the restoration. I wish these dealers gave out certificates of authenticity with relatively expensive pieces like these.

I tried but the 2 MB picture size is annoying. Highest my camera could go without going over is 1.9

What a relief. I was told by the dealer that it was Moroccan so i was hesitant to buy bit it looked so cool that I made the gamble. I agree with prem with the restoration. I wish these dealers gave out certificates of authenticity with relatively expensive pieces like these.

Unfortunately, a Certificate of Authenticity doesn't really mean anything--it's simply printing out the dealer's word that a piece is legitimate.

Because the crack runs through the trilobite, it is real, but it's hard to see how much restoration the thorax has.

I tried but the 2 MB picture size is annoying. Highest my camera could go without going over is 1.9

It does not depent on the MB-size. The picture in the link above has a size below 660 kb.

First, you need a usefull camera and the knowledge to work with it. Second, you must know how to make the pictures smaller, without making them (much) worser.

This is not to offend you, but without good (very good) pictures of such material a far-distance-diagnosis makes no sense and makes us completely speculating. Unfortunately there is also no guarantee if you provide good pictures, if the preparator has hide his accidents.

Edited by Johannes
  • I found this Informative 1