Wayne Thompson

California Paleontologist in Bethany Bay Delaware for a week looking for collecting recommendations

Wayne Thompson

Delaware shore paleo folks: any recommendations for collecting sites here? PM me if so. Looking to spend a day collecting. Also any museum paleo collections to bring specimens to?

Wayne

I_gotta_rock

There are fossils all up and down the Delaware River/Bay area. I have a number DE specimens from different spots in my gallery. We've found all sorts of things washed up on the beaches including petrified wood, Belemnites americanus (Delaware's State Fossil), coral, and various shell impressions. Many of them are embedded in surf-polished pebbles that would look really nice tumbled!

There are two natural history museums in Delaware. One is the Delaware Museum of Natural History in Greenville, DE, a fairly large place by Delaware standards, which is oddly lacking in local fossils. and the Iron Hill Museum, in Newark. The latter is a tiny hole-in-the-wall place dedicated to all things Delaware and DOES have a display of local fossils, including a petrified tree trunk on the front lawn.