Fossil Id Clams

fossilnewbie

i was trying to figure out about what age these clams are and how to categorize this piece thanks o and the clams are just sitting in there i can take one out the other has a narrow top on the hole so i cant take it out there are 4 big bore holes on the top that go all away threw with 2 full clams and the bottom has tons of holes with tons of tiny clams and critters and theres like a gold shimmer on the side walls """"""HEAR ARE THE NEW PICS my camera is still not having it """"

post-1691-1243041059_thumb.jpg

post-1691-1243041070_thumb.jpg

Clearer picture would help. It looks like your using a webcam if you don't have a digital camera you can try using your scanner.

The pics aren't clear enough to tell what they are, but the gold shimmer is probably pyrite. OH and welcome to the forum from Texas.

sorry bad about the pics my camera isn't doing its part hmm im in Washington

I can not get a good pic here, but keep tring and WELCOME from Galveston thats a little south of Texas

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

The conical holes make me think that we're looking at the underside; the clams burrowed in and grew in place, enlarging the holes as they did. If so, it might help narrow-down the ID.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

also a location they were found in would be nice

[/quot

what formation i am to from Washington st. maby i can help :D

i came saw drooled and collected

• 3 weeks later...

if there from washington there most likly from the cenozoic era but from wich period i cant say.but if it was found in western washington its probaly from the early to mid cenozoic when western washington was under water.but if its from eastern washington its probaly from the paleozoic era.hope this helps ;)

It will definitely help if you can start to pinpoint the age and formation of your fossils. If you collected them yourself then you can do this with a good geologoical map. There are a number of these for WA state online, but one good interactive one that will give you ages as well as formations is located on the following site:

http://wa_geology.home.comcast.net/~wa_geology/

Archived