Hello just a little help - petrified fossil or I'm ready for the nut farm.

EpaVision

found this the other day looking for arrow heads along the edge of a field in a wash leading to the river. any one know if it's a fossil or am I just out in the sun to long. I appreciate and welcome all comments . have a great day

post-21910-0-17323700-1467790211_thumb.jpg

post-21910-0-68055800-1467790235_thumb.jpg

post-21910-0-28954700-1467790312_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Your pictures are a bit blurry, but I am not seeing anything immediately with this piece in these pictures that identifies it as a fossil to me. :unsure:

What county in PA was it found in?

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

"nut farm...sun too long"...no, the third picture clearly shows the problem - a loose screw.

Clinical Dx aside, that is an oddly configured stone, but I don't see anything I recognize.

Edited by snolly50

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I see what is bothering you... the pinkish part looks like a head and neck of some large creature.

But it isn't.

This is what happens when you are new to fossils, you see things that you recognize as chunks of animals. Later on, with experience, that instinct fades away and you are looking more at the details of the rock.

well thanks for the info and I found it in Berks county in a wash from the field toward the river, just seemed odd and with the recent find in Birdsboro which is about 20 min. from where I live..The slab, found in Exeter Township south of Jacksonwald, PA., dates from the late Triassic Period (approximately 200 million years ago). The slab contains two distinct types of fossil footprints: three-toed tracks known as Grallator and five-toed tracks known as Brachychirotherium. The Grallator tracks were made by small to medium-sized carnivorous dinosaurs, walking on two feet.

here is a link to a video which might give you a better look.

well I guess there is no need for me to take it to the museum as most people I showed seem to have the same feeling.. just a rock.. ok thanks again and I appreciate the comments guess I will just play the mega millions tonight and try my luck there.