Ptychodus04

Steven and his dad have been aggressively collecting a site that has produced high quality fish for me for the last 15 years. Their hard work is starting to pay off. Here's an Apsopelix sp. that I just finished prepping for them

Before...

post-4550-0-41205700-1467809385_thumb.jpg

Very nice job!

Looks like it was a hard one.

Thanks for showing us.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The exciting part on this one was the fact that there was a layer of disassociated bones right where the head should have been (you can see a few below the head in the matrix. The skull happened to be about 2mm deeper than I expected so I had to delicately probe around the bones with my Aro in order to find it. Until I found it, I wasn't sure whether the bones were random or I was dealing with a disarticulated skull!

Thankfully, they were random!

Daaaaaaangola! Neat fish for sure. and yeah, looks like that was a bit of a tuff prep job. Nice job Kris.

RB

hot tamales!!!

Seems aggressive collecting has a bright future.

So you threatened to punch everyone within in a 80 foot radius of you? ;)B)

Daaaaaaangola! Neat fish for sure. and yeah, looks like that was a bit of a tuff prep job. Nice job Kris.

RB

It was tense for an hour or so. I blew through a largish scale with my CP9361 that I thought might have been the operculum and my periproct tightened up. I then switched to the Aro and micro-abrasive to get past the random bone hash. When I uncovered two vertebrae where the maxilla should have been, I felt better about the prospects of not ruining a specimen that belongs to somebody else. :P

So you threatened to punch everyone within in a 80 foot radius of you? ;)B)

They carry large, sharp tools also.

• I found this Informative 1

:P

NEVER come between a collector and his/her prey

Edited by doushantuo

Nice before and after photos of a lovely prep job

Mike D

Difficult to find and difficult to prep but a wonderful outcome. Thanks for sharing it.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.