Aurora Fossil Fest

Frank Menser

Just got back from the Fossil Fest - also known as the first really hot day of Summer. As expected the town did their best to produce an enjoyable event and even a fun Parade. Saw a few Forum folk -or they saw me as people called my name and intruduced themselves. Ran into Ron over at Megateeth and we ended the controversy over the mysterious tooth-which indeed turned out to be Walrus. However, neither he nor the Smithsonian people could shed light on the odd Santana fish I brought, though recomendations on who to talk to were made.

There were tons of Meg teeth and Mammoth & Mastodon for sale but not as many venders as we hoped. Did run into Tom Caggino who offered me a chair and talked fish for a bit. Ran into my collecting buddy Robert and had a tasty Italian sausauge hoagie.

The personal collections were very good. Unfortunately my health would not permit me to stay for the auction, so be put in some absentee bids and called it a day.

So here is our booty...

The first thing that I picked up was this 1.5" Indian Garnet.

post-1313-1243111862_thumb.jpg

This deer came from Venice, Florida.

post-1313-1243111770_thumb.jpg

This 3" Gogia spiralis from Utah caught my eye.

post-1313-1243111833_thumb.jpg

This 1" Globiden Mosasaur was interesting.

post-1313-1243111606_thumb.jpg

This big (2.75") Mos looked oddly slender compared to the rest.

post-1313-1243111646_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1243111694_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

Mac Daddy garnet! Love the Gogia, too :wub:

I really am sorry that you have health issues that keep you from doing everything you want to do :( , but you sure are a trooper :) .

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Mac Daddy garnet! Love the Gogia, too :wub:

I really am sorry that you have health issues that keep you from doing everything you want to do :( , but you sure are a trooper :) .

Thanks Y'all,

I have a weakness for Garnet (my birthstone) especially large xls. There were even larger ones there, but they had fallen victim to the polishers. I like mine natural... :)

Not especially familiar with Gogia (have seen several on Ebay but never got aound to bidding) so it was more filling in the blank in my echinoids collection. It was easily the largest I've seen of that species.

One piece that was really outstanding, was a large Moroccan piece that Lost World had. It was a string (on matrix) of about a dozen 2.5" shark verts spead out like poker chips. We went into the collection room and almost immediatly a beaming little lady came in with it having just made the purchase. We also saw a nice BIG red Mastodon tooth with roots and planned to return to buy it. Unfortunately we were so worn out after making a couple laps around the show we forgot to go back for it. :faint:

We bid on a large starfish (Moroccan) in the museum auction (fingers crossed). As usual there was a large assortment of teeth, jaws, skulls, fish and other things to choose from.

I don't think we had the pleasure. :)

Archived