Western Australian Dinosaur fossils sites

pseudechisbutleri

Hi,

Just wondering if anybody could provide some info about which sites in Western Australia I can find dinosaur fossils or Megalodon teeth.

Thanks

Welcome to TFF!

Most people are pretty secretive about the places that they like to hunt. If You look at some geologic maps for the age and correct type of rock it will give some places to start looking.

You can also go to a local rock or fossil club to get information. They may even have organized field trips You can go on.

Good luck!

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Welcome to TFF!

Most people are pretty secretive about the places that they like to hunt. If You look at some geologic maps for the age and correct type of rock it will give some places to start looking.

You can also go to a local rock or fossil club to get information. They may even have organized field trips You can go on.

Good luck!

Tony

Thanks Tony, I'll do some more research.

I may be wrong, but I have never heard of any dinosaurs from WA.

Dinosaur fossils are very scarce in WA, with only a few ever being found, at certain locations.

Thanks

It's fun to go out and find fossils even if you cant collect them.

As others recommend, best to go out with someone who is familiar with fossils in an area. If you were in Alberta and went out on your own, you most likely wouldnt find a thing. Go out with an experienced collector and you'll find a thousand dinosaur fossils in a day.

If there are 'any' dino fossils in your part of the world, then there are more. Or, if other types fossils have been found, there are also lots more. You may have to wander around a dozen times and find and nothing but the next time...bingo. However, you'll only find the fossils if you know what you are looking for. After decades of experience, I probably still walk by and miss ten good dino fossils for everyone that catches my eye.

Edited by Ridgehiker

Pretty sure it's illegal to hunt for them as well.

I don't think so, as said by EIToro

ElToro

Advanced Member

• photo-thumb-20038.jpg?_r=1451225261
  • Regular Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 525 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:10 PM

Here in WA, no such license is needed. I've studied the '86 act for export and basically if I want to export anything from the state I need to consult the experts at WAM and probably a letter from the minister.

Also, be aware that MANY Aussie fossil sites have mining leases slapped on them and collecting is illegal except for the lease holders. All sites on National Park land are off limits and if the site is on private land you need permission. Its truly a minefield...

It's fun to go out and find fossils even if you cant collect them.

As others recommend, best to go out with someone who is familiar with fossils in an area. If you were in Alberta and went out on your own, you most likely wouldnt find a thing. Go out with an experienced collector and you'll find a thousand dinosaur fossils in a day.

If there are 'any' dino fossils in your part of the world, then there are more. Or, if other types fossils have been found, there are also lots more. You may have to wander around a dozen times and find and nothing but the next time...bingo. However, you'll only find the fossils if you know what you are looking for. After decades of experience, I probably still walk by and miss ten good dino fossils for everyone that catches my eye.

Thanks for the tips, I'll see what I can do.

Thanks

Regardless of whether you get correct, or incorrect, legal advice online, it would be prudent to check with the governing authority in the area.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Regardless of whether you get correct, or incorrect, legal advice online, it would be prudent to check with the governing authority in the area.

Of course

For export of WA fossils you need either a 'Letter of clearance' or, if that is denied (eg because the fossil type is not well represented in public museum collections), an Export Permit (issued from Canberra but may or may not be granted). In WA, a letter of clearance is either issued by the palaeontologist at GSWA (typically for fossil stromatolites) or, more commonly, by the palaeontologist at WAM. For fossil collecting regulations in specific areas please contact the palaeontologist at GSWA (they keep track of mining leases etc.). Its not exactly impossible to collect at interesting sites in WA. The Molecap Hill quarry in Gingin for example (the only site in WA that has produced a Cretaceous dinosaur bone and one of only two known pterosaur bones from WA) is on land managed by the Water Corporation. If you give them a call they might advise that you can collect if you wear a hard hat. I might add that all three dinosaur bones from WA that I am aware of were donated to the WA Museum and will be on display for everyone to enjoy when the new museum opens in 2020.

There's dinosaur track ways along the WA coast, but can't take them.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Hi! I live in Perth and keep my eye on things here. I believe 6 dinosaur bones have been found in WA, so your chances of finding any are slim to none. Don't know of any WA Meg sites. If you are lucky, at Molecap Hill you may find marine reptile like Plesiosaur or Mosasaur. However, all I have found is a tiny bone fragment. They are very rare! But I have mates who have found Plesiosaur teeth. At Molecap there are shark and fish teeth though, and at >83myo they are much older than Megs. Here is a pic of two Gladioserratus cow shark teeth I found. I've also found fish vertebra and invertebrates like worm casts, brachiopods and sea urchin. Its a cool site that's legal to dig.

post-20038-0-32729800-1468394530_thumb.jpg

Edited by ElToro

"That belongs in a museum!"

- Indiana Jones

For export of WA fossils you need either a 'Letter of clearance' or, if that is denied (eg because the fossil type is not well represented in public museum collections), an Export Permit (issued from Canberra but may or may not be granted). In WA, a letter of clearance is either issued by the palaeontologist at GSWA (typically for fossil stromatolites) or, more commonly, by the palaeontologist at WAM. For fossil collecting regulations in specific areas please contact the palaeontologist at GSWA (they keep track of mining leases etc.). Its not exactly impossible to collect at interesting sites in WA. The Molecap Hill quarry in Gingin for example (the only site in WA that has produced a Cretaceous dinosaur bone and one of only two known pterosaur bones from WA) is on land managed by the Water Corporation. If you give them a call they might advise that you can collect if you wear a hard hat. I might add that all three dinosaur bones from WA that I am aware of were donated to the WA Museum and will be on display for everyone to enjoy when the new museum opens in 2020.

Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to consult the palaeontologists at the GSWA. By the way, I'm not interested in exporting fossils. I thought that the Molecap Hill Quarry was owned by the farmer who lives nearby? Plus, I was told that this farmer doesn't like frequent visitors to the quarry.

Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to consult the palaeontologists at the GSWA. By the way, I'm not interested in exporting fossils. I thought that the Molecap Hill Quarry was owned by the farmer who lives nearby? Plus, I was told that this farmer doesn't like frequent visitors to the quarry.

I do believe that was the situation a while ago, but he must have sold the land. As long as you don't cause trouble, don't bring heavy machinery and pick up all your rubbish, its fine. I've shown my finds to the curator of Paleo at WAM and confirmed its OK to dig. The reason WAM doesn't dig at Molecap is because the exact age is not verified. All they really know is that the bottom Gingin chalk (top of Molecap Greensand) is 83myo. The bottom of the formation is not known. Could be a few 1000 years or a few million... He is especially interested if I find any dinosaur or reptile bones. If I do find any, I will promptly donate them, of course. :)

• I found this Informative 1

- Indiana Jones

Just remember, its hard finding big fossils there. But there are plenty of small fossils, like shark teeth. You need a super fine sieve that they won't slip through.

Edited by ElToro

- Indiana Jones

Just remember, its hard finding big fossils there. But there are plenty of small fossils, like shark teeth. You need a super fine sieve that they won't slip through.

Don't worry, I'm not planning on doing some giant excavations :).

Check out my gallery to see some of my finds and pics from the site. Its my favourite place to go. Get away from the city into Big Sky Country.

Just watch for snakes. There are Western Browns there. I call this one "Snake Eyes" cause he likes to watch me while fossicking. I doubt you can get to a hospital in time if one bites you.

post-20038-0-03349300-1468404646_thumb.jpg

- Indiana Jones

Haha I doubt I'll see any snakes. If I can't find snakes by actively searching (which is what I've been doing for the past year, yes I'm a snake enthusiast), I probably can't see one if I don't actively search. But regardless, I'll still be careful :)

Don't be so sure! The beasts lair is right in the middle of the site. About 2m away from my little honey hole (best spot in the site). And he's BIG! About 4' long. That's as big as Western Browns get. He has a very cool black head and orange body. I'm very fond of him actually.

- Indiana Jones

Don't be so sure! The beasts lair is right in the middle of the site. About 2m away from my little honey hole (best spot in the site). And he's BIG! About 4' long. That's as big as Western Browns get. He has a very cool black head and orange body. I'm very fond of him actually.

Nice, snakes and fossils in the same place.

I once found a complete skull and two mandibles from the same animal. Got super excited that it was a fossil marsupial. Nah. Was just a rat that was probably Snake Eyes last meal...

- Indiana Jones

I once found a complete skull and two mandibles from the same animal. Got super excited that it was a fossil marsupial. Nah. Was just a rat that was probably Snake Eyes last meal...

Haha, I'm surprised the remains survived digestion

I don't know. What do you think?

post-20038-0-87059400-1468415942_thumb.jpg

- Indiana Jones

I don't know. What do you think?

Hmm, maybe it died from something else. Whatever happened, it's certainly not a marsupial fossil.