Western Australian Dinosaur fossils sites

pseudechisbutleri

Yea, just a dirty rat...

Anyways, do you know who to contact, regarding permission to access the site?

No permission needed. :)

Good to know, thanks. So just climb over the gate?

Yea, the gate is about 3' high and only there to stop the sheep getting out. You can step over it...

"That belongs in a museum!"

- Indiana Jones

Yea, the gate is about 3' high and only there to stop the sheep getting out. You can step over it...

How convenient! I don't think I'll need to consult the GWSA, now that I know all I need to know!

Thanks

Its my favourite place to be. Like therapy for me. Havnt been in 3 months due to recovery from a shoulder recon, and im feeling withdrawals! You ever want me tag along (I can't drive for at least another month), I'll show you my secret honey hole at the site. ;) ;) ;)

- Indiana Jones

Its my favourite place to be. Like therapy for me. Havnt been in 3 months due to recovery from a shoulder recon, and im feeling withdrawals! You ever want me tag along (I can't drive for at least another month), I'll show you my secret honey hole at the site. ;) ;) ;)

Nah, I'm fine making my own explorations, hope you get better :). By the way, the gate you're referring to is the one at the end of Quinn St, right?

Please ask the Water Corporation for permission. Last time I went there (years ago) they owned this particular piece of land. However you may have to traverse land owned by someone else to get there. For the record I am the curator of palaeontology at WAM. For other sites in WA please ask the palaeontologist at GSWA regarding permissions required.

Please ask the Water Corporation for permission. Last time I went there (years ago) they owned this particular piece of land. However you may have to traverse land owned by someone else to get there. For the record I am the curator of palaeontology at WAM. For other sites in WA please ask the palaeontologist at GSWA regarding permissions required.

Oh? Okay, will do.

Thanks

Thanx mate! Great to see you on here Dr Siversson! I will definitely chase the Watercorp up on it. My mate who showed me the location has been in contact with you previously and has followed the legal status of Molecap (I hear there are plans to turn it into a park, burying the quarry for eternity). He's been digging for fossils here MUCH longer than me so I tend to defer to him. I'm only a newbie to Molecap hill. But, I used to work security for the Watercorp so know a few people. I'll check it out. If sheep are allowed to graze there, I reckon it would be fine to do some low impact digging.

PS. Thanx for the ID on my Gladioserratus and Squalicorax teeth! I had a guy in the US try to buy them from me. Nice try, but I won't let them out of my sight!

- Indiana Jones

very small rodent... not a rat.

yea, mouse/rat, its all the same to me. They are dirty invasive species. I'll take a deadly snake over a rodent anyday! Rats and mice give me the willies...

- Indiana Jones

And definitely hasn't passed through a snakes gut.

Shame. I liked the thought of if being a meal for a local critter..

- Indiana Jones

Shame. I liked the thought of if being a meal for a local critter..

Yeah, those snakes are pretty good at controlling the rodent population.

For the record ElToro,

I was advised to, and contacted the correct authorities to get permission to enter the site before I entered the site, I also asked for ongoing permission to enter, which was granted..

When I first introduced you to the site, my right to enter was not automatically transferred to you.

Nobody should be visiting "your honey hole?" without first getting permission, including yourself. This could get everyone banned from there.

I'm not saying the location should be a closely guarded secret (which it will never be) and nobody else should go there, but correct protocol must be adhered to.

The snake is a Gwardar And I believe, if bitten, you will have time to get the required medical attention. It has, thankfully, avoided me in the past and gone under its clump of grass.

Also, if Mikael S says there are three dino bones, there are three dino bones, not six.

Hi Mikael, can't wait for the new museum to open :)

It's a lazy man that can't find his wife a second job!

Yes sadly we only have three definite non-avian dinosaur bones from WA (a theropod toe bone from the Molecap Greensand [found in situ about 2 m below the Molecap/Gingin Chalk contact] and two bones from the Middle Jurassic, east of Geraldton). Other presumed dino bones turned out to belong to marine reptiles. There may of course be additional dinosaur bones in private collections but I doubt it.

For the record ElToro,

I was advised to, and contacted the correct authorities to get permission to enter the site before I entered the site, I also asked for ongoing permission to enter, which was granted..

When I first introduced you to the site, my right to enter was not automatically transferred to you.

Nobody should be visiting "your honey hole?" without first getting permission, including yourself. This could get everyone banned from there.

I'm not saying the location should be a closely guarded secret (which it will never be) and nobody else should go there, but correct protocol must be adhered to.

The snake is a Gwardar And I believe, if bitten, you will have time to get the required medical attention. It has, thankfully, avoided me in the past and gone under its clump of grass.

Also, if Mikael S says there are three dino bones, there are three dino bones, not six.

Hi Mikael, can't wait for the new museum to open :)

I did not know that, regarding the permission. I believe you neglected to mention that. ;) Now I do, I will pop down to the Water Corp. Its less than a km from my house after all.

I must have got the figure of "6" from an old publication. Real pity for a state as big as ours. Oh, well, the only way to find more is to dig!

- Indiana Jones

• 8 months later...

On 15 July 2016 at 3:04 PM, ElToro said:

I did not know that, regarding the permission. I believe you neglected to mention that. ;) Now I do, I will pop down to the Water Corp. Its less than a km from my house after all.

I must have got the figure of "6" from an old publication. Real pity for a state as big as ours. Oh, well, the only way to find more is to dig!

On 15 July 2016 at 0:14 PM, MikaelS said:

Yes sadly we only have three definite non-avian dinosaur bones from WA (a theropod toe bone from the Molecap Greensand [found in situ about 2 m below the Molecap/Gingin Chalk contact] and two bones from the Middle Jurassic, east of Geraldton). Other presumed dino bones turned out to belong to marine reptiles. There may of course be additional dinosaur bones in private collections but I doubt it.

Hi Guys,

This thread is a great read, and I'm looking to take my boys (6 & 8 - the 8-y.o. is our budding paeleontologist) on a fossil finding expedition up Gingin way. I've been reading about the different sites in the area (Molecap, Poison Hill & MacIntyre Gully), and while the Molecap site sounds best for fossil finding, the snake thing is a big issue with little kids. 

I've heard of a few other sites being in the area, but have struggled to find exact locations on them, and whether they are on public or private land.

I would appreciate it if someone could expand on here, or pm me, about some other publicly available sites (preferably ones that may be less snakey), in the Gingin chalk area. 

1 hour ago, puppa_bear said:

I would appreciate it if someone could expand on here, or pm me, about some other publicly available sites (preferably ones that may be less snakey), in the Gingin chalk area. 

Response by PM is probably best. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Archived