Texas Tyrannosaurid Partial Tooth

JarrodB

This partial tooth I recently acquired was found in West Texas. It's from the Javelina Formation which is Late Cretaceous 70-66.5 MYA. It was labeled Tyrannosaurid. I was wondering if anyone could give me more information on which genus of Tyrannosaurid it's from? Troodon awaiting your reply. :)

post-19191-0-93938900-1468410500_thumb.jpg

post-19191-0-26756100-1468410539_thumb.jpg

post-19191-0-82193100-1468410571_thumb.jpg

post-19191-0-12052400-1468410609_thumb.jpg

post-19191-0-32580400-1468412306_thumb.jpg

Edited by JarrodB

Nice pick up, looks like a tyrannosaurid tip.

The Javelina Formation is a very late cretaceous unit. The fauna is equivalent to what is found in the Hell Creek Formation. So that being said tyrannosaurs were present. Dinosauria (book) shows teeth similiar to T rex and Tyrannosaurid indet. having been identified but nothing conclusively identified probably just because of the lack of material. Nanotyrannus was also around during this time. You should label it tyrannosaurid indet.

One caution, the individual who is selling these teeth also has the Aguja Formation exposed on his property, Campanian in age. Since it underlies the Javelina formation it's possible that this is a Campanian tyrannosaurid if he is not exact in where he's collecting. He's using a tree line and outcrops to determine the two. May not be an issue but fyi

• I found this Informative 4

Nice pick up, looks like a tyrannosaurid tip.

The Javelina Formation is a very late cretaceous unit. The fauna is equivalent to what is found in the Hell Creek Formation. So that being said tyrannosaurs were present. Dinosauria (book) shows teeth similiar to T rex and Tyrannosaurid indet. having been identified but nothing conclusively identified probably just because of the lack of material. Nanotyrannus was also around during this time. You should label it tyrannosaurid indet.

One caution, the individual who is selling these teeth also has the Aguja Formation exposed on his property, Campanian in age. Since it underlies the Javelina formation it's possible that this is a Campanian tyrannosaurid if he is not exact in where he's collecting. He's using a tree line and outcrops to determine the two. May not be an issue but fyi

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate the info. For the price and being from Texas I couldn't pass it up. I have a serious fossil collector friend who regularly buys from the seller so I was confident in the purchase.

Edited by JarrodB

It was indeed the right decision, Texas teeth are hard to come by. I have a few teeth from the same supplier so hopefully he continues to have some luck and find more teeth

It was indeed the right decision, Texas teeth are hard to come by. I have a few teeth from the same supplier so hopefully he continues to have some luck and find more teeth

My friend has a large Tyrannosaurid Indet tooth he got him from him but it's heavily restored.