Fossil found on Assateague Island, Va

cruisermike

I found this fossil rolling around in the surf on Assateague Island in May of 1994. I thought it looked like a mantis shrimp but It's never been confirmed. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

post-21974-0-00764600-1468550060_thumb.jpg

post-21974-0-66399000-1468550063_thumb.jpg

post-21974-0-34992600-1468550067_thumb.jpg

post-21974-0-59610700-1468550070_thumb.jpg

Welcome to TFF!

It looks like it could be, but let's wait for some other opinions before You call it one.

Tony

:popcorn:

PS if it is that is one sweet find!!

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

The shells behind it are beautifully in focus. If you could re-shoot focusing on the fossil, we could be better at guessing.

Hello, and welcome to the Forum. :)

Unfortunately, the pictures posted are too blurry to tell - I cannot see any detail to the exoskeleton, which should have some texture to it.

Try taking the pictures outside, in daylight. Take them from a few different distances, and figure out which is best for detail and focus.

If you are using a camera, try using the macro mode feature (little tulip looking icon) .

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I think its more likely a fossil mud lobster from the body segmentation. Ive seen some similar to the one you have. What are the fossils dimensions?

The fossil is located at my beach house, that is rented thru August. I won't be able to re photograph it until the end of summer. It's about 4 inches long and around 3/4 of an inch wide. The reason I thought it was a Mantis Shrimp was that several have been found on Assateague in recent years and identified as such. I was unfamiliar with the mud lobster but after looking it up, that is certainly a possibility. Too bad more of the fossil wasn't intact. Thanks to all for your help. I also have some belemnites and a few other things that I found in the C&D canal spoil piles. I will photograph them after August, as well.

The fossil is located at my beach house, that is rented thru August. I won't be able to re photograph it until the end of summer. It's about 4 inches long and around 3/4 of an inch wide. The reason I thought it was a Mantis Shrimp was that several have been found on Assateague in recent years and identified as such. I was unfamiliar with the mud lobster but after looking it up, that is certainly a possibility. Too bad more of the fossil wasn't intact. Thanks to all for your help. I also have some belemnites and a few other things that I found in the C&D canal spoil piles. I will photograph them after August, as well.

:popcorn::popcorn:

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.