Fossil trilobite from morocco

Hello, I am looking to buy a fossil trilobite from Morocco off of eBay and was wondering if you guys think it's real. The owner has 100% ratings by thousands and states every piece has been expected.

post-2806-0-07901600-1468597666_thumb.jpg

post-2806-0-15387000-1468597680_thumb.jpg

post-2806-0-90132500-1468597698_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fossildude19
to remove link

Hello, it looks real to me, but the prep seems sloppy. For future reference, if you could just post the images with the genus and species instead of the link to the auction.

Best regards,

Paul

...I'm back.

Be very cautious on eBay, especially on stuff coming from Morocco or China.

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

I agree with Raggedy Man post the one you're interested in so we can have a better look. Ratings on auction sites are meaningless. Most buyers dont know that have a problem until much later on when the ratings cannot be changed. In addition saying all items are inspected is also meaningless since lots of sellers do not know what they are looking at?

Edited by Troodon

I agree - Not a bad trilobite - appears to be real, but a bit sloppy on the prep.

Not bad for the price, though.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

This bug needs definitly some finishing. There is still matrix beween the pleura, a good needle under the bino and some dolomite with 0.3 bar might work, and the matrix around can be made "smoother" for the eyes... Not the ugliest bug from these layers, but unfortunately also not the best preparation.

How come it's called Cheirurus by the seller? Has Crotalocephalina been updated to a new name?

I agree with the others - not a terrible Cheirurus/Crotocephalus/Crotocephalina and not the best. I have seen significantly better ones around the $60 range on Our Favorite Auction Site. There are lots of genuine 'bites (and really nice ones, at that) coming out of both Morocco and China and being sold on eBay, and there are lots of fakes. Learn your basic fake-spotting skills and you should be fine.

---Prem

• I found this Informative 1