Northeast Ohio - Seed? Carboniferous, Pennsylvanian

saysac

Sweet! :wub:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice find ....it reminds me of Cordaitanthus sp.

John

Be happy while you're living for you're a long time dead.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Abyssunder I believe you are correct! Looks exactly like it to me. Can you tell me what it is from? I assume it is the seed?

Sherry

Abyssunder I believe you are correct! Looks exactly like it to me. Can you tell me what it is from? I assume it is the seed?

Sherry,

I looked at the PDF abyssunder posted - it lists the Cordaianthus under Cordaitales.

The same order that includes Cordaites.

And yes, these would be the seeds/cone?. :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I don't suppose anyone has noticed the multiple Cordaites revisions online? :D

Isn't Cordaianthus a form genus?

As it is stated in the first link of post #7 :
" The form genus Cordaianthus includes both pollen- and ovule-bearing strobili. (...) " :)

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thank you everyone. When I googled Cordaitanthus, this link came up, and I found it very interesting. I found these "circles" which have yet to be identified, and wonder if all of you can take a look at figure 481 and see what you think? It definitely resembles the figure, at least to me....

LINK

post-19253-0-83800100-1469229749_thumb.jpg

post-19253-0-34627900-1469229767_thumb.jpg

post-19253-0-33923800-1469229812_thumb.jpg

post-19253-0-18054400-1469229862_thumb.jpg

Sherry

I believe you are correct. :)

Also, the one on the right side of the first picture, could be one in longitudinal/lateral view, like D in the document page.

post-17588-0-90527700-1469526946_thumb.jpg

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thank you so much abyssunder for looking at this and giving your opinion. I have thought that the "circles" were perhaps looking at a cross section but when I saw the view on the document I really think it is the same. Thank you very much for your confirmation! This is pretty exciting for me!

Sherry

I don't think they are the same. The pieces on the outside of your circles don't look very foliar (plant-like) to me. But I could be wrong.......

My personal leaning for the circles are that they are a microbial or algae mats like a stromatolite but a little different since it was freshwater. Now some circles could also be different things.

And I could be wrong. They might be a cross-section of a stem or some plant part.

I'd posted a thing in Researchgate on the circle-things and received a few responses. But nothing very definitive.

https://www.researchgate.net/post/What_are_these_circle_things_Armoured_Mud_Balls_or_something_else

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

Well Paul. you may be correct. Now that I read the description it appears that the photos are very small portions, not the root as I was thinking. I have no idea again, but really thought it looked like it. Does anyone know if there were plants like modern cane that were hollow in the middle?

Sherry

The isolated "circles" looks like they are cross section of something and are embedded in the matrix . I don't think that stromatolites could be like these, so I remain in the Cordaianthus assumption.

Thomas Mann

My Library

Ok. I'm having second thoughts on this. I think you two could be right with the cross-section of Cordaianthus. (or cross-section of something else)

It would make much more logical sense with the abundance of Cordaites at Sherry's location.

I still think the shape looks too "rocky" (for lack of a better work).... like bits of stone as opposed to an impression of a cordaites "flower-cone".

Paul, do you have links that show what the outside of the stem or trunks look like of what I have been finding?

Sherry

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking about these circles.... could they simply be bubbles in the mud surface?

The area was likely a valley inundated with freshwater to the point where valley sides form a mudslide. I would assume pockets of air would be trapped during a mudslide. Just a random thought....

Archived