Keichousaurus

HamptonsDoc

Hey guys, what do you think of this Keichousaurus? There's some obvious cracks, including the one through the skull. Any restoration or fabrication that you can notice? Any digits or ribs painted on? Good quality or should I hold off and wait for another? Thanks!

post-19603-0-09095900-1468701874_thumb.jpg post-19603-0-72001200-1468701891_thumb.jpg

This link might help: https://srjphorton.wordpress.com/2011/04/26/how-to-tell-the-difference-from-real-articulated/

It might help if you gave some information on the dealer, maybe someone on the forum has had experience with them. I'm afraid I am not experienced enough with fossil fakes or Triassic vertebrates to be of any definitive help, but to my untrained eye some of the vertebrae look sculpted and somewhat fishy. Take my opinion with a grain of salt though, as I said I am by no means an expert. It'll be interesting to see what someone who knows what they're talking about thinks.

Also, here is a link to a thread here that is similar to this one: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/47180-new-keichousaurus-is-he-real/

This link might help: https://srjphorton.wordpress.com/2011/04/26/how-to-tell-the-difference-from-real-articulated/

It might help if you gave some information on the dealer, maybe someone on the forum has had experience with them. I'm afraid I am not experienced enough with fossil fakes or Triassic vertebrates to be of any definitive help, but to my untrained eye some of the vertebrae look sculpted and somewhat fishy. Take my opinion with a grain of salt though, as I said I am by no means an expert. It'll be interesting to see what someone who knows what they're talking about thinks.

Also, here is a link to a thread here that is similar to this one: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/47180-new-keichousaurus-is-he-real/

Thanks for the information! The seller is a private collector, not a typical dealer. I've purchased another fossil from him several months ago without any issues.

It might help if you gave some information on the dealer, maybe someone on the forum has had experience with them.

On the public Forum, we prefer that information about the dealer not be expressed regarding fossils for sale. Inquiries about dealers and their reputations should be handled via PM. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Everything looks good to me. I don't see any obvious signs of bones being painted on. Looks like a better than average Keich to me!

On the public Forum, we prefer that information about the dealer not be expressed regarding fossils for sale. Inquiries about dealers and their reputations should be handled via PM. ;)

Sorry, it should be even more obvious now that I don't do this kind of thing frequently. Obviously I don't want anybody's personal information being displayed publicly. Thanks for the info

Everything looks good to me. I don't see any obvious signs of bones being painted on. Looks like a better than average Keich to me!

Great, thank you! Everyone agree?

It's very difficult to distinguish a good from a bad one with a photo. Do you have the possibility to see it in person?

It's very difficult to distinguish a good from a bad one with a photo. Do you have the possibility to see it in person?

Unfortunately no, the seller lives out of state.

From the ones I've seen here, on TFF, I would say it's a real one.

However, I'm not used to spot vertebrate fakes (I'm an invert addicted :D ) and I don't have many knowledge to tell you precisely if the specimen in question is completely real or if it has restoration signs.... Let's wait for the experts' opinion ;) .

Regards,

If you get it in hand, you can get someone to x-ray it for you (like a vet)... that might help.

What do you guys think about the lighter colored matrix next to the bones and between the ribs? Is this from prepping or a red flag?

What do you guys think about the lighter colored matrix next to the bones and between the ribs? Is this from prepping or a red flag?

I think it's from prepping. Around the bones of my Keich the matrix is also lighter and you can see small scrap marks on the matrix from the prep work.

Let's see if anyone thinks otherwise though! Better safe than sorry with Keich fossils.

Agreed might be prep since there is lighter colored material around. However it might not and why take the chance. In my mind if these are not slam dunks, just pass, you see lots available on the market so you can be selective.

I think there’s some painting on this one, whether that is to enhance it or to replace missing bones I don’t know. I’d pass and wait for another.

• 2 weeks later...

So I had this little guy shipped to me with the option of returning it if not completely satisfied. Under my loop I noticed several very tiny hairline cracks that run through the matix and follow right through several sections of rib and phalanges. I then took a paper clip and dug away at the matrix next to a few random bones (again under the loop) which reveals more bone burried underneath. The matrix scratches easily and comes up into small dust particlas when dug into, the bone does not. The posterior of the matrix has a buldging out section opostie of where the fossil lays on the top side. He also sent me the original papers with pictures from Indiana9 where the person I purchased this from bought it from 15 years ago, and I do trust Merv. I brought it to a friend to examine it and he agrees with me, I got a very nice, authentic Keichousaurus hui! Thanks for everyone's help on this one!

So I had this little guy shipped to me with the option of returning it if not completely satisfied. Under my loop I noticed several very tiny hairline cracks that run through the matix and follow right through several sections of rib and phalanges. I then took a paper clip and dug away at the matrix next to a few random bones (again under the loop) which reveals more bone burried underneath. The matrix scratches easily and comes up into small dust particlas when dug into, the bone does not. The posterior of the matrix has a buldging out section opostie of where the fossil lays on the top side. He also sent me the original papers with pictures from Indiana9 where the person I purchased this from bought it from 15 years ago, and I do trust Merv. I brought it to a friend to examine it and he agrees with me, I got a very nice, authentic Keichousaurus hui! Thanks for everyone's help on this one!

Awesome! Good looking Keich

Nice to hear that! If it's not even coloured that's a very rare and good looking keichousaurus. It's not easy to find a real one these days. Well done!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived