Is this a fossil?

TimZ123X

Hi everyone - I found this at Acadia National Park in Maine on the beach of a lake. Looks like it could be a fossilised tooth. Can anyone verify?

Thank you for looking!

post-22018-0-55187900-1468977989_thumb.jpeg

post-22018-0-74320200-1468978050_thumb.jpeg

It's definitely a rock or mineral but since you have have the 'fossil bug' and are my basically my neighbor (I currently live in Bensalem), check out all of the New Jersey Cretaceous sites; there's good stuff to be found. :)

Acadia National Park is gorgeous, but not a good site for fossil hunting for a couple of reasons.

#1: National Park! Collecting rocks is prohibited, and rangers will confiscate anything if you're caught. Or so I'm told by a local who should know.

#2: Most of the rock there is igneous or volcanic in origin. What little sedimentary rock there is has not (as I'm told) produced fossils. Most of the original sedimentary rock has been metamorphosed into schist. The only fossils I'm aware of are Pleistocene marine fossils left behind by the glaciers in soil deposits.

That said, it's a fascinating place to explore geology in general. My husband and I spent a nice week-and-a-half vacation there last August, and we made exploring the geology a focus. For those interested in such explorations, I highly recommend getting a map-and-booklet package that we found in the Visitor's Center: a bedrock geology map, a surficial geology map, and a booklet describing the features, all in one simple package. Both maps show topographic lines as well as the usual roads and trails.

Welcome to the Forum! :D

Thanks everyone! Actually wasn't even looking. I reached down to pick up a rock to skip and found it. Thought it might be too good to be true.

Thanks again,

Tim

Acadia National Park is gorgeous, but not a good site for fossil hunting for a couple of reasons.

#1: National Park! Collecting rocks is prohibited, and rangers will confiscate anything if you're caught. Or so I'm told by a local who should know.

Collecting in a National Park is a big no-no. If caught, and the "Feds" feel like making an example, you could be looking at fines and jail time.

http://nature.nps.gov/geology/nationalfossilday/prpa_text.cfm

Archived