Henderson

PHOTOS ATTACHED I found this along the shore of Lake Ontario, in the small town of Port Hope, Ontario. The stone itself is about 1 1/2 inch wide but the stem-like print is about 3cm long. The circular print is about 0.5cm in diameter. Some sections even seem to have a bit of a shine to them when the rock is shifted from side to side in the light.

post-22025-0-92660100-1469041301_thumb.jpg

post-22025-0-78718600-1469041306_thumb.jpg

Welcome to TFF!

Your rock is a piece of limestone with pieces of crinoid stems in it. It has also been stream tumbled. The long one is in cross section.

Nice find!

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

The semicircle is likely a cross section through a valve of a brachiopod.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome to TFF!

Your rock is a piece of limestone with pieces of crinoid stems in it. It has also been stream tumbled. The long one is in cross section.

Nice find!

Tony

Welcome to the Forum. :)

The semicircle is likely a cross section through a valve of a brachiopod.

Regards,

Thank you both! It was more then likely brought in by the lake. This was the first none shell fossil I have found in this specific location and I'm happy to add it to my small collection :)

Welcome to the forum. I agree and the semicircle may just be what's left of a complete circle. If so it's probably another column or columnal. I love the way it's preserved, worn through to the center and possibly crystalized.

edit: I recently learned that the center of the stem, which is often hollow, had part of the body going down through it. They were much more complex animals than I thought.

:hearty-laugh:

I disagree with others, just to balance things out.

Ha ha! Don't let the jester fool you. He's just upset he didn't get to ID it first :P

Ha ha! Don't let the jester fool you. He's just upset he didn't get to ID it first :P

:rofl::thumbsu: !

Welcome to the forum. I agree and the semicircle may just be what's left of a complete circle. If so it's probably another column or columnal. I love the way it's preserved, worn through to the center and possibly crystalized.

edit: I recently learned that the center of the stem, which is often hollow, had part of the body going down through it. They were much more complex animals than I thought.

I love how it is too and I was honestly thinking about trying to polish it, once I do some research into how to polish stone that is. I think it would look pretty nice shined up :)

And I know next to nothing about fossils and the creatures that made them ha ha But I suppose something in the middle could explain why it's a different colour?

Thank you for balancing things out ha ha Wish you luck on IDing my future finds first :P^_^

I suppose something in the middle could explain why it's a different colour?

In the animal that is a crinoid (sea lily) the soft body parts are surrounded by a hard "shell" and the hole in the center is where the soft parts have rotted out. This area of the animal was filled with sediment before fossilizing.

Can You post a picture from the side? I do a lot of lapidary work and this stone maybe unsuitable for polishing. (at the least You would lose a lot of the detail.)

Tony

In the animal that is a crinoid (sea lily) the soft body parts are surrounded by a hard "shell" and the hole in the center is where the soft parts have rotted out. This area of the animal was filled with sediment before fossilizing.

Can You post a picture from the side? I do a lot of lapidary work and this stone maybe unsuitable for polishing. (at the least You would lose a lot of the detail.)

Tony

I will get some side photos up tomorrow for you since I will be heading to work shortly.

:blink::oyh::zzzzscratchchin::meg dance:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Tony

Sorry I never got around to posting photos, but here they are now:

mjaCNyO.jpgn6ElhL9.jpg1jxbbNH.jpgpu9jJQo.jpg

There are little cracks on the side, if you polish that stone you'll lost those parts and a lot of little details that make it an interesting piece. I would left it as it is. :D

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

There are severe cracks in this rock that may fail (come apart) under the stress of grinding to get to a stage to polish. Aside from the cracks in this rock, it looks porus and would not take a good polish.

I would leave it as is.

It is still a nice fossil!

Tony

There are severe cracks in this rock that may fail (come apart) under the stress of grinding to get to a stage to polish. Aside from the cracks in this rock, it looks porus and would not take a good polish.

I would leave it as is.

It is still a nice fossil!

Tony

Thanks Tony ^^ I shall leave it be :)

Archived