What Kind of Rock Pick Would You Recommend?

MarcusFossils

I do love my Estwing, although up in the Green River I find that a wood handle gives me a better split for whatever reason. I guess it depends on preference and the matrix you are working in. I would never use wood on our local trilobites.

fossil-shack-new-banner-use-copy.png
www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

These tools work overtime.

post-11220-0-15936000-1471106366_thumb.jpg

Landscape tools by day, adventure tools by night.

Well worth every cent.

• I found this Informative 1

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have used a inexpensive masonry hammer, from HomeDepot, for years.  It cost me about $20.  The handle is wood, but has given me no problem so far.  It has a chisel head that I use occasionally.  My only complaint is the handle could be a little longer.  Works great in shale, and OK in limestone.  Works well when I pound it into rock with my crack hammer.  Another tool I can not live without, for shale, is a tile nipper.  With one of these, taking small bites, I can trim shale like butter.  OK, I do occasionally break a fossil, but not often. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My $.02, for whatever it's worth :)

I use a 2 lb wood handled chisel peen hammer I got at a flea market. it may have been a giant brick hammer at some point, but now it's a geology hammer :).

I also carry a cold chisel (and now a cape chisel as well).

Any hardened hammer can double as a drilling hammer if you strike with the side of it. the body of a hammer is usually soft, only the faces of the peens are hardened.

the problem with masonry hammers is two fold, one, most have a short handle and unless it is a steel shaft they will not stand up to the use, and two, they are made to crack bricks, which are a lot softer than most matrix. They dull easier. I have had several and they were not worth the money if they are cheaply made. I have 3 Estwing, picks 2 picks and one chisel. I like the chisel one best. 2 with rubber grips which are sort of slick until I roughed them up, and one with a leather grip which I like the feel of best. I had to rough up the grip also.  Another tip if you hunt in quarries or in general in the wild. Paint the head bright yellow (Rustolium) , it helps stop rust and makes them much easier to spot.

• I found this Informative 4

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

• 3 weeks later...