Another Crab Prep - finally caved in and tried an easy one

6ix

Hey guys, I've been sitting on this one for a few months, it looked like an easy one so I was saving it as a reward for something...

After catching up with RJB's posts I was re-motivated so I got back to the crying crab and made progress so I started on this little feller.

IMG_7479.jpg

As I'd hoped - it is not a sticky one so far, I'm sure the concrete will darken as I go deeper, but I'm having fun!

IMG_7490.jpg

Time for a break - oops that was a few hours I didnt really have spare...

IMG_7493.jpg

Hey 6ix. By any chance are you going to try and repair the missing carapace, or leave it as is? Im always interested in how some folks repair fossil things.

RB

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't that be more a reconstruction/restoration rather than a repair?

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

@RJB - Personally I'm more interested in leaving it as is (without artistic impression) - but also I dont have the skills to even contemplate such a job as any mis-colour or shrunken joint would stand out more than the nicks I've already put in it. I do tend to use lots of superglue on the boundaries tho.

I don't blame you 6ix. Reconstruction/Restoration, (did you pick up on this Ash. :) ), can be quite tuff. Especially right where that area is! Keep up the good work.

RB

• 3 weeks later...

Oh no... not sure what to do now!  Should I try & glue the large bit on & worry about the smaller pieces later?

Feeling pretty gutted at the moment.

IMG_7553.jpg

I would glue everything on now and consolidate the whole crab, unless the parts are in the way of prepping more matrix. 

This one looks tough!!! Good luck, sir!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I agree. Glue back on and consolidate.

you could use superglue for gluing, but be careful around the transition from rock to shell. It (superglued rock on she'll) will come off with the scribe but makes and unecessary sticky bit.

• 3 months later...

I'll take some more photos over the next few days, I glued & clamped it & carried on...  Making slow progress in hour long sessions, but its looking better that I was expecting after the explosion!

Seems like most problems get a bit better once you go forward on prepping.  Cant tell you how many heart attacks ive had only to realize later that its 'not so bad'.   hang in there 6ix.

RB

Well, its getting more & more fragile down the left face - the shell is separate from the "steinkern" inside - I buried the rest in glue and will focus on other parts instead..

IMG_8162 (Small).JPG

IMG_8163 (Small).JPG

Archived