Review: Trip to Nashville Ordovician 7/21/16

MeargleSchmeargl

3 days in the aftermath of my fossil hunting adventures in Nashville, I finally have gathered the time to tell the world about it today. We arrived in Nashville the day before we set out, and looking out the eindow before we even got to our hotel, I could see cliff after cliff with rocks that weathered out of them lining the bottom of them, leabing me to fantasize what lied within the rocks. As it was nearly 10:00 PM when we arrived at our Mariott hotel, we set out to eat dinner at a local restaurant, and came back to rest up for the big day tommorow. I personally had a nearly sleepless night, having fallen into a restless sleep at 4:05 AM.

Despite this, I was the very first one up, and I was filled with energy knowing what we would be doing soon. After everyone else had woken up, we ate breakfast at the hotel, and quickly set off for the first site: the Nashville West Target. Having looked the place up many multiple times in the weeks and days preceding the trip on google earth, I put the address into the GPS from memory, and I recognozed the sign leading us to the site when we drove upon it. When we arrived in the parking lot, I couldn't help but take in the full scale of the cliff:

post-20836-0-40754000-1469400983_thumb.png

We wasted no time in our search, as me and my brother leapt to the task of scanning the foot of the cliff for the 450 million year old treasures. Not even 30 seconds into our hunt, I was beginning to learn why Nashville was said to be "littered with fossils" by suburban turmoil:

post-20836-0-48343200-1469401158_thumb.png

To be continued...

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Cont.

It was an incredible feeling, just how quickly I found it. It was almost as if I had an extra sense built into my head. After about half an hour we were finding some good specimens from the site:

post-20836-0-79397800-1469401410_thumb.png

The trip maker was this beautiful out-of-rock Hebertella that I have also mentioned on the July 2016 FOTM

Page:

post-20836-0-03638500-1469401746_thumb.png

To be continued...

Edited by MeargleSchmeargl

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Cont.

All in all, it was quite the trip and haul. Here is the view of what I got in total from Nashville West and the similar site at Hwy 70 S near Bellavue Center:

post-20836-0-89406200-1469402198_thumb.png

post-20836-0-04119900-1469402217_thumb.png

In the end, it was yet another enjoyable experience with fossil hunting. Cannot wait for the next opprotunity!

That outcropping makes my mouth water. Is that normal?

I believe so. In Nashville we saw many outcroppings that look JUST like this one. I guess that is why Nashville can also be reffered to as Fossil city. ;)

a lot of the rock in the Nashville area is massive , hard limestone that is hard to get the fossils out.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I believe so. In Nashville we saw many outcroppings that look JUST like this one. I guess that is why Nashville can also be reffered to as Fossil city. ;)

If you are ever in the Louisville, KY area contact me and I will show you some nice Ordovician sites. p.s. this applies to all FF Menbers also

• I found this Informative 1

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

If you are ever in the Louisville, KY area contact me and I will show you some nice Ordovician sites. p.s. this applies to all FF Menbers also

Nice. I'll think about it.

Really nice finds and report!

Thanks for sharing!

Tony

I shall never cease to amaze ;)