Late cretaceous fossils, need ID

Mona

Hi everyone,

I went hunting few days ago on new spot, and find few marine invertebrates and these two fossils, that I'm not sure what they are, so I need help in id.

First one, I think it look like a bone... But I'm newbe, so I'm not sure.

https://s31.postimg.org/qrvulwpnf/IMG_4156.jpg

https://s31.postimg.org/hz13ti0ij/IMG_4155.jpg

https://s32.postimg.org/qrw81oh91/IMG_4154.jpg

https://s32.postimg.org/pw4vn9g6t/IMG_4157.jpg

And this is the second one:

https://s32.postimg.org/ahgqcdzp1/IMG_4159.jpg

https://s31.postimg.org/6iza92tor/IMG_4160.jpg

Thanks!

Posting pictures here for archival purposes, and for those who do not wish to leave the Forum to view.

1st item:

post-2806-0-48572600-1469568270_thumb.jp

post-2806-0-41323900-1469568275_thumb.jp

post-2806-0-42073600-1469568280_thumb.jp

post-2806-0-52726000-1469568286_thumb.jp

2nd item:

post-2806-0-89540300-1469568292_thumb.jp

post-2806-0-57312400-1469568298_thumb.jp

First one I'm not seeing anything fossil-ish off hand.

Second item looks shell-y to me.

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Second item might be an oyster. I am basing that on the shape visible in the end view. Maybe remove a bit more matrix to confirm.

First item is just a rock.

• I found this Informative 2

Info: Craig Hyatt, retired software/electrical engineer

Experience: Beginner, fossil hunting less than a year

Location: Eagle Pass, TX USA on the border with Mexico, hot dry desert

Formation: Escondido, Marine, Upper Cretaceous

Materials: Sandstone, Mudstone, Shale, Chert, Chalk

Typical: Thalassinoides, Sphenodiscus, Exogyra, Inoceramus

Reference: http://txfossils.com/Txfossils.html

Craig is right the first is just a rock probably a sand or siltstone with some bedding and cross bedding. The second looks like a shell... ID will be tough unless more of the shell is exposed.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Thanks for replies!

I'm a little bit dissapointed because it is just a rock :( I was hoping it is a bone, it would be my first vertebrate...

But, i'm gonna keep hunting, it is there somewhere, playing hide and seek, waiting to be found :D

I do upper Cretaceous as well here in Texas. Keep your eye out for shark teeth and vertebrae. A single shark vertebra is my *only* vertebrate find since I started. The vertebra looks like an antacid tablet. :-)

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/65988-south-texas-upper-cretaceous-antacid/?hl=%2Bshark+%2Bvertebra#entry690976

Hey Craig, thanks, I saw your finds and noticed some similarities with mine, also i've visited your reference website, it helped a lot :)

Speaking of that, I see a mistake on the txfossils site - a snail labeled 'Worthenia' that I believe is actually a Glabrocingulum.

Speaking of that, I see a mistake on the txfossils site - a snail labeled 'Worthenia' that I believe is actually a Glabrocingulum.

Did you e-mail them about it?

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

I'm staying out of it. At my level, I wouldn't know a Glabrocingulum if it bit me. Not that it would, of course. ;-)

I mentioned this before, but when the web started up one of the nightmares of paleontologists was that there would be a storm of amateur posting and misclassifying of specimens. Leaving that uncorrected means that other people will use it as a reference, and expand the problem.

Returning to the topic (sorry that I'm late every time and thanks to Tim for the pictures import), for the first one I'm not sure what could contain, but the second specimen looks quite an oyster. Any rudist on the strata ? Where is your new spot ?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Hi abyssunder,

I found just few fragments of rudists. Spot is about 15 km away from Bajevica (Alulovice, mentioned in paper you sent to me). It is quite big exposed place (im in lack with words in English).

According to the mentioned document, there is an outcrop at Alulovici of Maastrichtian sediments. Upper Cretaceous integrated biostratigraphy in the western belt of the Vardar zone - Svetlana Polavder.pdf

" For the purpose of reconnaissance, only a few samples were collected from Maastrichtian sediments at Alulovići and Kovačevo (Middle-Upper Maastrichtian by Radoičić 1988). Some beds in the sandstone outcrop, at Alulovići abounded in poorly preserved recrystallized orbitoids. The sandstone also contained sporadic mollusc accumulations. A mollusc collection from this locality includes: Neritina compacta Forbes, Natica transsylvanica Palfy, Cerithium alulovici Pejović, Cardium duclouxi Vidal, Corculum (Fragum) cerevicianum Pašić, Lucina producta Goldf., L. falax Forbes (Pejović 1953).
Marly sandstone and sandy argilites in the river at Čekovića millhouse in the village of Kovačevo bears, besides foraminifer Laffiteina mengaudi (Fig. 3.15), numerous Cardium duclouxi, other bivalvia and gastropods (Radoičić 1988).
Maastrichtian sediments of Alulovići and Kovačevo are shallow-water equivalents of the basinal Deževo and Novi Pazar formations – actually parts thereof (more accurate correlations will result from further study). These rocks were interpreted by Mojsilović et al. (1979) as lying in the middle of the flysch column about 300 m thick. They are shown in the geological map Sheet Sjenica (Mojsilović et al. 1979), and Petrović & Jankičević (1988) refer to them as a young flysch series. However, according D. Pejović & R. Radoičić (pers. com.) these sediments of Alulovići and Kovačevo are not flysch. The latest stratigraphical data indicate the post-Maastrichtian age of the flysch (de Capoa & Radoičić 2000). "

post-17588-0-14652900-1469712923_thumb.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I would say slim chances of finding vertebrate material. :(

Sounds like mostly invertebrate fauna was found.

Regards,

I don't want to disappoint you, but I don't think there are good chances for vertebrate fossils in those strata.

Thomas Mann

My Library

Aaa, I'm little dissapointed... But, I will keep searching :)

Craig found shark vertebra among all those invertebrates :D That is motivating

Aaa, I'm little dissapointed... But, I will keep searching :)

Craig found shark vertebra among all those invertebrates :D That is motivating

That's the spirit! I haven't given up finding more vertebrates. As we say over here "The opera ain't over until the fat lady sings." :-)

Keep on searching you'll be rewarded. :)

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg