Red Flag on Dinosaur Material

Fake Dinosaur eggs are popping up again from a Malaysian seller. Calls them Stegosaur Dinosaur eggs.... Stay clear

post-10935-0-43693200-1469617027_thumb.jpg

A 3 3/8" Rooted Allosaurus tooth. Seller says it has great serrations and has not been repaired. Very pricy. Indeed the crown looks great however theropod roots typically do not look like that. They taper and have an indentation for the replacement tooth. I suspect the majority if not all the root has been reconstructed or highly restored.

post-10935-0-06616900-1469617485_thumb.jpg

A 6 1/2 Monster Spinosaurus tooth. While the tooth is big not a good collector item. Tooth is real but the seller indicates minimal prep work. The work done on the tooth is awful. Lots of fill, the very tip has been added. It's hard to determine what portion of the root is real or matrix so the length is questionable.

post-10935-0-70094000-1469617519_thumb.jpg

Here is a museum quality Aublysodon mirandus in the words of the seller. It indeed is a beautiful tooth but misidentified. Aublysodon is not consider valid any longer and since its is from the Hell Creek most likely a Nanotyrannus.

post-10935-0-79371800-1469618310_thumb.jpg

Seller "Here is a scientifically important bone from the Hell Creek formation of Custer County Montana! This piece has amazing preservation with great bite marks" Having trouble seeing great bite marks, some light gouges but great bite marks may be a stretch. Draw your own conclusions.

post-10935-0-84964000-1469618335_thumb.jpg

Edited by Troodon
  • I found this Informative 13

Thanks for taking the time to post this info, for people like me that are new to the hobby it really is handy learning what to look out for.

It is great that You keep Us informed about these dubious products.

Thanks!!!

Tony

Edit to reflect the following posted opinions- Ynot

Edited by ynot

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

It's more a case of 'dubious fossils'. ;)

(We don't publish disparagement of specific people or companies.)

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thanks for all the positive comments. I agree with John we should not be focused on the seller but the fossil. Some of them, I believe, is out of ignorance, personal opinion or being mislead when they originally purchased the fossil. Collectors need to know what to look at when they are purchasing fossils.

Edited by Troodon
  • I found this Informative 4

This one popped up today and thought it would be good to show.

Seller:

DINOSAUR FOSSIL - THEROPOD RAPTOR CLAW - HIGH QUALITY Hell Creek USA CRETACEOUS

Although there are some resemblances to a theropod claw it's crocodilian.

Theropod claws typically have blood grooves on both sides and the front is not flatish. I highlighted the one edge that is missing the blood groove. I attached photo to compare it to a theropod claw

post-10935-0-27451800-1469824663_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-15312400-1469824677_thumb.jpg

post-10935-0-32078700-1469825383_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Caution for those of you unfamiliar with fake Mosasaur skulls.

The only thing real in these recreations are the teeth. Say clear unless you would like art...

I like the added touch by putting a tooth in the eye socket of the one in the left

post-10935-0-51608200-1469903972_thumb.jpgpost-10935-0-44514000-1469903983_thumb.jpg

Looks more like a really bad crocodile imitation than a mosasaur.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Yes they do mimic croc skulls but the seller is calling them Mosasaur. We've seen this before.