What could this be?

Sayre615

I recently found this at my house in New York. I cut the outer part and it shines like metal. The inside seems like an egg shaped foggy glass substance. Any ideas?

post-22079-0-58227600-1469649500_thumb.jpeg

A concretion around a round quartzite pebble?

I see flaws and inclusions in the round center that look like quartz.

post-20989-0-11853600-1469655158_thumb.jpeg

Info: Craig Hyatt, retired software/electrical engineer

Experience: Beginner, fossil hunting less than a year

Location: Eagle Pass, TX USA on the border with Mexico, hot dry desert

Formation: Escondido, Marine, Upper Cretaceous

Materials: Sandstone, Mudstone, Shale, Chert, Chalk

Typical: Thalassinoides, Sphenodiscus, Exogyra, Inoceramus

Reference: http://txfossils.com/Txfossils.html

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Cropped the image to better show the fossil:

post-2806-0-09966000-1469649717_thumb.jp

Looks like a concretion to me, as well.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

+1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thank you everyone! Sorry, I am obviously new to this, but very curious! It just seemed out of the ordinary to me after just finding something like this in the 20 years I've been here.

Welcome to TFF!

Can You be a little more specific about the location? How did You cut it? with what tool?

I tend to agree with a concretion, but that is a strange center.

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

@ynot I discovered it a few miles east of the Minnewaska state park reserve in New York! And I only used a simple pocket knife to test the hardness when I saw that it was appearing metallic

@ynot I discovered it a few miles east of the Minnewaska state park reserve in New York! And I only used a simple pocket knife to test the hardness when I saw that it was appearing metallic

Being able to "cut" it with a pocket knife would indicate a soft mineral, maybe calcite. But that does not fit with "metallic".What type of metal does it look like. Brass, copper, silver and iron all have a different color.

Tony

This is very weird. There is a gap between the object in the center and the outer mantle. The center object looks perfectly spherical like a marble. This doesn't look natural to me. I suspect some Homo sapiens had a hand in making this. They are odd and tricky little devils.

If the outer coating is soft and can be cut with a pen knife, I suspect pot metal or a lead alloy.

Does it feel heavy like metal?

looks like quartzite ball or a marble encrusted with a lime shell

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I am confident that it resembles iron when I cut it

It could be a "rotten" iron pyrite or siderite. I am Just curious about the perfect round center. This is a feture that I am unfamiler with in a concretion.

Have You tried to cut iron with a pocket knife (also iron). Not an easy task.

Tony

PS Lead or other soft metal and man made makes more sense than a concretion for this thing.

Hmm well the shine compares more of a lead to me but again I have no experience whatsoever haha. And yes with the size that it is, the weight is much more than you would expect for a rock that size

This is going to be out there. Due to the perfect white orb and a close but loose encapsulation; I'm going with an old antiperspirant roll on deodorant that may have survived a fire or low heating event. I don't know, I'm just saying.

There is a metal alloy of tin and other cheap metals often called white metal or pot metal. When freshly exposed it can shine like silver or lead, and then often takes on a white-grey dusty patina as it oxides. Pot metal was used many years ago for pots (thus the cryptic name). It is a light weight metal and cheap.

Why would somebody coat a "glassy" marble in a coat of pot metal? That just the kind of weird things those sapiens do.

I don't think this is natural. Maybe some odd artifact left over from a pot making factory? Something thrown in a fire? (a marble in a metal pot)

I still say the center is a piece of quartzite. I looked closely at it, and the details look like a rock to me. I have definitely seen nearly spherical pebbles like this. Also, we can't see all of it, so no guarantee it's a perfect sphere.

I can't explain the gap other than a difference in thermal expansion or perhaps dissolution of a soluble mineral layer.

The OP didn't sound, to me at least, like he cut it with a knife. I thought he said he scratched it. Maybe he cut it with a Dremel.

Hmm well the shine compares more of a lead to me but again I have no experience whatsoever haha. And yes with the size that it is, the weight is much more than you would expect for a rock that size

1. How did you trim the outside off to make the photo you posted? Did you use a power tool?

2. Have you tested whether any part of the object is magnetic?

3. Can you remove the center object? You mention it's "egg shaped". It is elliptical or is it a perfect sphere?

Just had a thought-- in the 1800's they sometimes used 1/2 round glass or porcelain marbles as bottle stoppers. These were held on the bottle with a thick lead foil.

Can We see some pictures from different angles?

Tony

Here's a photo of the top view and one with tiny slits I created with a knife. The way it looks otherwise is the way I found it. The top half of the outer part was already gone when I discovered it!

post-22079-0-89016200-1469666103_thumb.jpeg

post-22079-0-77594700-1469666138_thumb.jpeg

Let's find out what the sphere is. Does a steel knife blade scratch it?

Is the metal cover really soft like lead or a harder iron alloy?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Here's a photo of the top view and one with tiny slits I created with a knife. The way it looks otherwise is the way I found it. The top half of the outer part was already gone when I discovered it!

That view looks a heck of a lot like a bullet that's been fired. They are all over one of my sites. The shape and color are a good match. So maybe "musket ball" is right. ;-)

Are there any modern rounds with glass balls in them?

After seeing the uniform wall thickness, grooves or gouges in the top and the color, now I am swinging toward the man made camp.

Pretty crucial to find out if it's magnetic.

I have this weird feeling... like deja vu.... that I've seen this before and should know what it is.

Could it be some sort of furniture caster? But who makes ball bearings out of glass?

post-20989-0-35878500-1469667541_thumb.jpeg

Archived